Thursday, October 10, 2019

A Mini-Retreat: Thursday's Reflection

I looked at my calendar. I looked at the weather.

Tuesday was THE day. 

I am preparing to revise the last section of my memoir, and the first step is to re-read the most recent version of those chapters. I wrote them well over a year ago, and I have only a vague recollection of what is in them. 

In addition, my sense is that these chapters in the memoir need the most revising for a variety of reasons--mainly because the material is not as much about the past, but is more about NOW. How do I find perspective on the present? 

I realized a day without interruptions and distractions like the refrigerator, emails, laundry and other home tasks would be a good thing. I love working in my garret, but sometimes a change of scene is a good thing.

Off I went to St Olaf College, my alma mater, in Northfield, MN, only 45 minutes away, an easy and pleasant drive. When Bruce and I were there a couple weeks ago for a 50th class reunion meeting and we were on a tour of some new buildings on campus, I noted a spot where I would love to spend the day working, and that's where I spread my writing materials yesterday.

Now here's the surprise for those of you who know me: I spent my retreat day at the Regent Hall for Natural Sciences! SCIENCE! 

A brief story. When I was a freshman at St Olaf, I took a biology class to fulfill my science requirement. One day during the laboratory time I was dissecting the fetal pig--or should I say, destroying the poor pig--and the professor, a grandfatherly looking man, moved station to station to see what we were doing. 
             He looked at my attempts and said, "Miss Jensen, What's your major?"
             I said, "English."
             He said, "Good."


The only reason I entered the science center once I was done with that class (I did pass, by the way.), was to walk through it to get out of the cold on my way to another building. How amazed I was to spend the day so close to the science disciplines. But look at the view, the setting! 







I spent the bulk of the day there, only leaving for a quick lunch in another building. I enjoyed the comings and goings of students, but no one bothered me, and I was able to focus on the task for the day.

By the time I left I felt refreshed and eager to begin reworking the structure for this part of the memoir, a task which only the day before had felt overwhelming and daunting, and I wondered if I even wanted to do it.

That's the gift of retreat. 

A time-out in order to...
             Refresh and Recharge
             Renew
             Release
             Reconnect with...

One doesn't need to have a project, in order to retreat. Perhaps you are feeling a bit stale or bored or out-of-sorts. Perhaps you recognize the rut you are in. 

You fill-in the blank. "I need to retreat in order to______________.

Then the next step is to consider possible retreat places. They need not be far or costly or need reservations. Is there some place you've wanted to explore or enjoy, but haven't done it yet? A museum or park or arboretum or yes, a college campus. 

Keep a list of possible retreat places, and then when the calendar, the weather, and most importantly, the need are in synch OR when the need outweighs the practical aspects, you will be ready to say, 
                   "Today is the day!"

An Invitation
Have you ever given yourself a retreat day? I would love to know. 

6 comments:

  1. Such a gift you found in the midst of a ‘strange’ place! I’m happy that you have progressed to the final part of your memoir. That must feel like a major accomplishment in itself.
    I love your question: “ How do I find perspective on the present?” It’s a very good question for me to ponder right now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad the question of perspective in the present is relevant for you. It feels like melding past, present and future all together at the same time. Eeek!

      Delete
  2. I agree that it's hard to work at home - there's too many distractions! Good for you for finding a quiet, lovely retreat place in which to work. There are some retreat places near me and I've always thought about going to one - not to work, per se, but to do nothing but read and write. And de-stress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally working at home is not a problem for me. Sometimes I just need the treat of a different spot. I encourage you to give yourself that kind of treat.

      Delete
  3. I like your idea of keeping a list of places to go. My retreat place is in a study room at our local library. I once planned a stay-at-home retreat for myself. The house was all mine for the weekend and I even made up a schedule for writing, reading and going for walks. Just me and the dog:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the stay at home retreat idea! Thanks for sharing.

      Delete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted