Thursday, October 3, 2019

Early Morning Prayer: Thursday's Reflection

In the early morning light before I ease out of bed and into my slippers, I give thanks for a good night's sleep and for waking to a new day. 

I gather my thoughts for the day.

What will be the topic for my next blog post?
How much writing time do I have today?
Is it going to rain again today?
When should I go on my daily walk?
And even, do I need to wash my hair this morning?

I review the previous day.

The afternoon with my writing group and the help they offered as I begin working on a new section of my memoir. Once again, we talked about how to maintain focus. 
The evening with other writers and our conversation about what we learn as we work on a long project, including the discovery of patterns in our lives and the growth of compassion towards ourselves and others.
The French Onion Soup that simmered in a slow cooker all day and tasted delicious. Leftovers tonight! 

And then I lift the names of those on my heart; those in need of prayers.
A friend who is being stretched by all her caregiving responsibilities.
Another friend who is struggling with health issues and growing older.
A couple who are bravely addressing other health issues.
A nephew as he relocates and a niece as she begins a new job.
The spiritual directees who come for monthly sessions this week.
Government officials who resist doing the right thing.
My loved ones as they move through this day.

Well, this list goes on and on and I could spend the day in bed praying. I hope if/when the day comes that I am bed bound or limited in my activities and movements, that I will remember to spend my day in prayer. But for now, even though the advent of morning light appears later and later as we move into October, it is time to rise and, I hope, shine. 
                                  
                  Dear God,
                  I give this day to You.
                  May my mind stay centered on the things of spirit.
                  May I not be tempted to stray from love.
                  As I begin this day, I open to receive You.
                                         from "Morning Prayer"
                                         Illuminata, A Return to Prayer
                                         Marianne Williamson 

An Invitation
What are your first thoughts of the day? I would love to know. 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful, reflective way to start your morning. And I love that prayer at the end. To be honest, I'm not a morning person so my only thoughts in the morning are...COFFEE! I stumble to the coffee maker and get my coffee going, feed the cats, then start to reflect on my day.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted