Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Seeking Wisdom: Tuesday's Reflection

An owl has landed on our steps. 


Until recently she ruled the front garden, partially hidden by flowers and bushes, summer's growth, but now she is more visible. I like to think she is guarding the pumpkins from the marauding squirrels who gnaw at the tasty pumpkin flesh. 

Perhaps, however, I should think a bit deeper about her presence. 

In many cultures Owl is a symbol for wisdom. An Owl perched on  the shoulder of Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom and revealed unseen truths to her. Owl sees what others miss. Where others are deceived, Owl sees and knows what is there.

Often wisdom is associated with being older, and as a woman in her 70's, I like to think I have acquired some wisdom along the way. Jean Shinoda Bolen in her classic book, Crones Don't Whine, Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women, says a wisewoman has a

            sense of truly being herself, can express what she 
            knows and feels, and take action when need be. She 
            does not avert her eyes or numb her mind from reality.
            She can see the flaws and imperfections in herself and
            others, but the light in which she sees herself is not
            harsh and judgmental. She has learned to trust herself
            to know what she knows."  p. 4

Oh, is that all?!


Obviously, living for a long time does not mean one just naturally becomes wise. My foolishness is often all to evident, but there is help, inspiration. Wisdom.

I love Wisdom's words in Proverbs 8:
             Come to me, you who lack understanding.
             hear, for I will speak gracious things
             and from my lips will come what is true and right...
             I, Wisdom, will offer you awareness and strength of soul.
             I walk in the way of right relationships and along the
                 paths of peace.
             I give knowledge and understanding to those 
                who love me...
             So now, my children, listen to me.
             Watch for me in the morning and wait for me at night.
             Hear my guidance and be wise.
             For those who find me find life but those who lose me 
                  will lose their way.

It seems wisdom requires listening, being aware and open, seeking harmony in our relationships and working towards peace in all the world. And patience, as we wait for Wisdom in the night. 

And maybe an Owl on your shoulder or on your front step. 

             Open our eyes to see your Spirit in all life.
             Open our hearts to receive the blessing that is in 
                all created things.
             Guide us with your wisdom, O God,
              in the handling of matter,
              in the sharing of earth's resources
              and in the knowing of one another,
              your Spirit within every living spirit. 
                                     from Celtic Treasure
                                     Daily Scriptures and Prayer
                                     J. Philip Newell

An Invitation
Where have you known wisdom? I would love to know. 

            




       
             

  .




5 comments:

  1. Wisdom comes by listening, not by talking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder I love owls! I'm 57 but feel I have a little bit of wisdom as I am growing older. I still have a lot to seek out and gather myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am 80 and still learning. Einstein said "when you stop learning you start dying."

      Delete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted