Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Today's Word : UNiTY

 During the past week, the word "unity" has been proclaimed frequently. Most notably in President Biden's inaugural speech, 

      To overcome these challenges --to
      restore the soul and to secure the
      future of America requires more than  
      words. It requires that most elusive 
      of things in democracy:

                Unity.
                Unity.

He used the word "unity" or "uniting" nine more times in his speech, including, "With unity we can do great things. Important things."

Others in the government, as well as political and social commentators and religious leaders, recently have declared their hope for unity, as well. A noble hope after these disruptive and frightening years, but when we hope for unity, what do we mean? What does unity look like and how is it achieved? Do we all mean the same thing?

One of my favorite pastimes is to browse or shop my library shelves in the garret. Sometimes I scan my shelves not looking for anything specific, but simply seeing what appeals to me, what attracts me. Often, of course, I find what I didn't know I was looking for. Sometimes, however, I search for something specific. In this case, references to "unity." 

Here's a sample of what I found:

Julia Cameron, the author of The Artist's Way, has a lot to say in her three small books of "prayers and declarations for a changing life, " Transitions, Heart Steps, and Blessings. 

            We are one tribe. I cherish our unity. We are united
            by our suffering and by our joy. One life flows
            through all life. One heart holds every heart. 
                            Blessings, p. 89

In The Soul of Tomorrow's Church, Kent Groff refers to the Moravian tradition: "unity in essentials, liberty in nonessentials, and charity in all things," (p. 56). Of course, that leads me to wonder how it is decided and who decides what is essential and what is isn't. 

When I looked up the word "unity" in the index of The Seeker's Guide, Making Your Life A Spiritual Adventure by Elizabeth Lesser, I was directed to references to "inter-being." In a whole fascinating chapter that opens with a quote from Hildegard of Bingen and closes with words from Martin Luther King, Jr's Letter from Birmingham Jail and inbetween is a long section on "Karma and Faith," here's what shimmered for me.

    ...unity-consciousness, a state of being where all things     
    are so deeply connected that they are no longer experienced
    as opposites, and therefore are not in conflict, but rather hold
    together in a meaningful and creative unfolding. p. 342

One book led to another--A chapter on "Sacred Wholeness" in Richard Rohr's The Universal Christ; uplifting words in A New Harmony, The Spirit, The Earth, and The Human Soul by John Philip Newell, which I have just started reading ("We and all people, we and those who have gone before us, we and all creatures, we and the universe are traveling together in one river of life. We carry each other within us. And the universe carries us within itself." p. 12); and many scripture passages listed in my thesaurus for the Bible under the category of "one."

I had definitely gone down a rabbit hole with a pile of books threatening to collapse on top of me at the bottom of that hole! What I needed was some direction, a practice or two, and I found that in Spiritual Rx, Prescriptions for Living A Meaningful Life by Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat. 

            The spiritual practice of hospitality helps us
            learn to respect differences and celebrate diversity
            in the Creation. Unity is about affirming commonalities.
            This can be as simple as acknowledging how you are
            like another person. It can lead to actions demonstrating
            your solidarity with others. Without unity, there is little
            hope for compassion, justice, or peace. p. 254-255.

And then they suggest using the phrase "just like me," to signify my unity with others. Whenever I feel the need to criticize or judge someone or even when I compliment someone, the Brussats suggest thinking, "just like me." For example, "He is so inconsiderate of other people's feelings, just like me." Or "What a nice smile she has, just like me."

All of a sudden unity becomes more than a theory and not just something vague or out-of-reach. Unity is something I can practice and live each day, and I believe individual practice creates collective change. 

One more reference, a good way to send us into a world that desires unity.

                                        Unifier
                    We need you, divine Unifier,
                    To join what has broken apart
                    in our human relationships.
                    Perceived wrongs separate.
                    Jealousies increase hostility.
                    Misuse of power divides.
                    Selfishness easily isolates.
                    Disloyalty dissolves trust.
                    Bring us closer to one another.
                    Unify us in your one great heart.
                                    Fragments of Your Ancient Name, 
                                    365 Glimpses of the Divine for Daily
                                    Meditation, prayer for August 8
                                    Joyce Rupp

Excuse me, I need to put all these books back on my shelf. Who knows what I will find as I do that! 

An Invitation
How do you define unity? I would love to know. 

                                      





No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted