Tuesday, January 5, 2021

My Favorite Books of 2020


 The past year was an excellent year for reading. At least it was for me. Much to my amazement, I read 137 books. --87 fiction and 50 nonfiction. At the beginning of 2020 I noted in my book journal that I didn't want to focus on the number of books I read, and yet, I admit, I keep track. What's more important, however, is what I read --the quality and the gifts of what I read and the gratitude I feel for the company books provided me during the pandemic.

At the beginning of the year, before we knew about COVID, I set some intentions for my reading year. These included using the library more and "shopping" my own bookshelves for books I own, but have not yet read. How grateful I was when our St Paul Public Library system offered curbside pick-up and then a bit later limited browsing in the libraries themselves. Over the course of the year I requested over 100 holds. I read many of those and others only a few pages before deciding the book wasn't for me. Feeling free and comfortable to say "no" to a book before finishing it was another of my intentions.

And along the way I removed many books from my shelves and took them to Little Free Libraries, and will continue that process. 

So here are my lists:

My Top Favorite Fiction Titles of 2020

1.    Kindred by Octavia Butler. This was the first book I read in 2020, and it stayed with me all year. Published in 1979 and classified as science fiction, a time-traveling tale, the story is about an African-American woman married to a white man who travels back and forth between today's world and life on a Southern plantation where she is a slave. Will she be able to return to the life she knew and how do her experiences as a slave impact life with her white husband? Don't wait to read this as long as I did.

2.    The Street by Ann Petry. I had never heard of the book published in 1946 until a book group friend recommended it, and I now rank it as one of the best books I have ever read. Written by an African-American woman, the book is set in Harlem, post WWII. The main character, Lutie Johnson, a single mother, lives in a crummy apartment with her young son, trying to survive and make good decisions. Lyrical, painful, moving with strong characters.

3.    Monogamy by Susan Miller. I was totally absorbed by the characters, Annie and Graham and their adult children. Early in the book Graham dies and Annie discovers a secret in their marriage. The story is not so much about secrets as it is about the way we love in spite of or because of love's complications. 

4.    Books by Madeleine St John. An Australian author new to me, and I read her entire backlist: The Essence of The ThingA Stairway to Paradise, The Women in Black, and Pure, Clear Light. Always insightful, usually in few words, St John died far too young at age 52, and I wish she had written more.

5.    The Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish, winner of the National Jewish Book Awards in 2017. Jewish documents from the 17th century  are discovered by two Jewish historians. The documents indicate that a woman who became a scribe for a rabbi corresponded, using a male name, with philosophers of the day, including Spinoza. The book moves back and forth between both time periods. 

6.    Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry. A barber in a small town, Port William, loves a woman all his life, although she is married to another man and does not know Crow loves her. He is an observer, a philosopher, a seeker. A book about love, yes, and also a deeply spiritual book. 

7.    The Vanishing Half by Britt Bennett. This book was on many 2020 best book lists. Two sisters who are black, but very light-skinned make opposing decisions. One passes as white and marries a white man. The other marries a very dark-skinned man. The daughters of these two sisters meet when they are grown and the secret is revealed. I thought Passing by Nella Larsen, published in 1929, which deals with the same issue, was just as compelling. 

8.    Old Lovegood Girls by Gail Godwin. I read or re-read several books by Godwin in 2019, and loved them all. This book was like being with an old friend. Set in the South in the 50's in a private college, the roommates become friends for life--and both are writers. 

 Other Favorite 2020 Fiction Titles

1.    Disobedience by Naomi Alderman
2.    Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers
3.    Harry's Trees by Jon Cohen
4.    Swede Hollow by Ole Larsmo
5.    Virgil Wander by Leif Enger
6.    The Dearly Beloved by Cara Wall
7.    All the Devils are Here by Louise Penny
8.    Broken Verses by Kamila Shamsie
9.    I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb
10.  Nora Webster by Colm Toibin
11.  The Guest Book by Sarah Blake


My Top Favorite Nonfiction Titles of 2020

1.    Ordinary Light by Tracy K. Smith, poet laureate of the United States. 2017-2019.  A gentle memoir of growing up in a loving, middle class black family in California. The last chapter focused on her mother's death and reminded me of myself when my own mother was dying.

2.    A Good Time for Truth, Race in Minnesota, edited by Sun Yung Shin. Not much has changed in Minnesota since this was published in 2016. This quote from one of the essays says it all: "The white people here are very white. The white people here don't like controversy or conflict. The white people here like to think of themselves as white." Ouch. 

3.     Daily Prayer with the Corrymeela Community by Padriag O'Tuoma. I keep returning to the prayers in this little book.

4.    Just Mercy, A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stephenson. In my mind, Stephenson is a hero, a super hero. The focus of this book is the racism that results in the incarceration of far too many black people. At times the book feels like a suspense novel, but the facts and information given make it all too real. Read this book. 

5.    My Grandmother's Hands, Racialized Trauma and the Pathway to Mending Our Hearts and Bodies by Resmaa Menakem. I find myself returning to this book periodically to reflect and do the exercises. This would be an excellent book to read with a group. We have so much to learn about trauma and its lasting effects.

6.    Acts of Faith, The Story of an American Muslim by Eboo Patel. I heard him speak on a St Olaf College Zoom event, and was so impressed and wanted to know about him and his story and work. He is committed to interfaith youth work, and the work he does is inspiring and profound. 

7.    This Time Next Year We'll Be Laughing by Jacqueline Winspear. I  love her Maisie Dobbs mystery series and thoroughly liked her own memoir. 

8.    Always A Guest, Speaking of Faith Far From Home by Barbara Brown Taylor. I will read anything by BBT, even sermons, which is what this book is, a collection of sermons given when she was a guest preacher in various congregations. Always thought-provoking and fresh.


Other Favorite Nonfiction Titles of 2020

1.    The Orphaned Adult, Understanding and Coping with Grief and Change After the Death of Our Parents by Alexander Levy
2.    Dialogues On: Race. (Augsburg Fortress)
3.    Sparrow, A Book of Life and Death and Life by Jan Richardson
4.    Active Hope, How to Face the Mess We're In Without Going Crazy by Joanna Macy and Chris Johnstone. 
5.    Wintering, The Power of Rest and Retreat in Difficult Times by Katherine May.
6.    The Pen and the Bell, Mindful Writing in a Busy World by Brenda Miller and Holly Hughes.

What are my reading intentions during 2021? Well, I've decided to be more intentional about rereading. During December I started rereading Louise Penny's mysteries in order of publication and have now read the first 4 and intend to move steadily with great pleasure and delight all the way to number 17. I am thinking about rereading Barbara Kingsolver, Ann Patchett, and Marilynne Robinson--all modern day classics. I also have a number of spirituality books I want to reread. I must admit, however, that the latest sparkling book is always tempting. Stay tuned and happy reading. 

An Invitation
What was on your Best Books list? I would love to know.

NOTE:  My guide, "Crossing the Threshold, Honoring the New Year, A Guide to Reflect on the Old and Prepare for the New" is still available and it is free. To receive a copy, email me at nagneberg48@gmail.com and I will send you a copy. 

2 comments:

  1. I always love reading your book posts as we have similar interests. Compared to you, I "only" read 50 books last year. I am going to be looking up a lot of the books you posted. Not that I need more to read...I easily have 600 books here at home in my bookcases! I am always putting books on hold at my library, too. I just started reading Women Rowing North and I'm intrigued to see how this read will go. There's so many mixed reviews about it online.

    Have you considered joining Goodreads? Since you read so much and have a variety of interests, I think your reviews would be helpful to others.

    I don't read any crime or mystery, but my husband is in the middle of reading the Louise Penny series right now. Good thing our library has all the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be eager to hear what you think about Women Rowing North. I thought parts were stellar and others weak, but my expectations were high. I did Goodreads once and found it to be a real "rabbit hole" for me, but perhaps I will consider again. Happy reading!

      Delete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted