Tuesday, January 19, 2021

My Word of the Year: WORD






I can't tell you the exact moment when I recognized my word for 2021. There was no flashing light or crashing sound. I didn't have a vision.  
No mystical experience. 

Instead, I gradually realized that I was carrying, sitting and living with my word.

                                    WORD

I have always been intrigued by the Gospel of John 1:1

                    In the beginning was the Word, and the Word
                    was with God, and the Word was God.


As a writer, how important it is for me to find the right word, to create meaning and understanding and to offer pictures and perspective through words. I try to find words that speak to you, my readers. Just the right words. 

I know words make a difference.

I know words speak to me about my relationship with God, and words lead me to new life, to living life in the light.

                                    Word of God.
                                    Word of Life. 

But, I admit, I am a bit flummoxed by the gift of WORD. Somehow it feels different from the words I've received in previous years. My word in 2020 was "fullness," and other years included "spaciousness," "devotion," and "Sacred Yes, Sacred No." 

Why couldn't my new word be "hope" or "love" or "sanctuary" or something else that would seem to have a boundary, a direction, a motivation? What does it means that my word is "WORD"?

I don't know, but I do know that --just in all the previous years--this word will nourish me, challenge me, and lead and even wrestle me into new growth. Just as I didn't decide on a word, but instead received the word, I know that the word will work on me, rather than my working on it. 

And so I begin the journey of discovery. 

An early step as I cross the threshold into the Year of the Word was to make a collage. Instead of using pictures, as I have always done, this year's collage is just words. Words that nourish, challenge and lead me. The new collage hangs next to collages from the last two years along with a collage representing potential audience for my in progress spiritual memoir. 

What I am beginning to realize is how the words from the past interact with the new word; how integration of each word continues, and how the words are in active relationship with each other. Each one calls me forth. 

                            from Jan Richardson
                                ....to speak your word
                                into the world
                                to tell what you have
                                heard,
                                with your own ears,
                                seen with your own 
                                eyes,
                                known in your own heart:
                           
                                that you are beloved,
                                precious child of God,
                                beautiful to behold.

                    from Joyce Rupp
                                May each common word coming forth from me
                                Echo the magnificent love of you, the one Word. 

An Invitation
Have you received a word for the year? I would love to know. If you would like some additional guidance on this spiritual practice, email me, nagneberg48@gmail.com for a free guide on entering the new year. 

NOTE: Here's on excellent article on spiritual direction:

NYT article on spiritual direction 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted