Thursday, May 31, 2018

Sidewalk Poetry:Thursday's Reflection

         
                                       
                               I don't know enough
                               about balance to tell you
                               how to do it

                               I think, though
                               it's in the trying
                               and the letting go

                               that the scales measuring
                               right and wrong --quiver
                               and stand still
                                                    Georgia A. Greely


My morning walks nurture me in many ways. I awaken to beauty and take care of my body. I allow ideas and new perspectives to flow through me, and sometimes I even solve a nagging problem. I observe and appreciate the ways people take care of their homes, and when I notice a home that looks neglected, I wonder about the story behind the front door.

And sometimes I read poetry, thanks to the over 1000 poems stamped on St Paul sidewalks. (Sidewalk poetry) Many of which are in our neighborhood. Most recently, I noticed the one pictured above on the sidewalk outside of the dry cleaners at the corner of St Clair and  Cleveland. Had I not spotted this one before? Had I walked right over the words and not received their gift? Probably.

"Perhaps I need these words now," I said to myself, as I paid a bit more attention to the way I was walking, making sure I didn't lose my balance. 

Balance is one of the issues older people hear a lot about. We are encouraged to do certain exercises to maintain our balance and prevent falls. But here is another perspective--the encouragement to let go, or at least try, in order to balance the quivering scales. How hard it is to maintain balance when we hold on to weighty stuff from the past--regrets, sadness and loss, the betrayals, hurts, and disappointments. 

Of course, letting go is not easy, and I think being balanced is an elusive goal, but trying is key to our ongoing growth. 

During my morning meditation right now I am reading Living an Examined Life, Wisdom for the Second Half of the Journey by James Hollis, PhD, and on the same day I encountered the poem about balance I read this:

          Just as we periodically clean the house, go through
          old clothes and fashions and discard the no longer
          germane, so we have to go through our accumulated
          histories, our driving attitudes, reflexes, and responses,
          and discard what is no longer useful, productive, 
          relevant, or serving growth.

When we let go of those burdens, we can stand straighter, taller and be more balanced in body, mind, and spirit. 

An Invitation
How balanced are you?  I would love to know.  

A Gentle Reminder and Open Invitation
On Tuesday, June 5 from 7-9:30 I will participate in a reading, along with other members of Authors' Circle. We will be reading from works in progress, and you are invited. The free event will be held at 2615 Park Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN.  https://www.facebook.com/events/416831295437677/permalink/428351497618990/

                                

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any words of wisdom to add to this...I love your thoughts; they are very meditative. Balance (mind and body) is something I am always working on.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted