Tuesday, May 8, 2018

A Recess at the River: Tuesday's Post

I'm hitting the sidewalks of St Paul again. 

No more ice. No more snow. It is time to walk. 

Last spring and again in the summer and even through the fall I told myself I was going to not just walk to the river and along the river, but I was also going to take a book and claim a bench, read and enjoy the view. Did I do it? Nope. I walked those paths frequently, but didn't linger.

Well, one day last week, I filled a backpack, purchased at Target over a year ago for just this purpose, with book and phone and something to drink, and pen and small notebook, and sunglasses and off I went. You would have thought I was heading out on a major trek! 

What a treat! 

At this stage of spring, you can see through the bare trees down to the river. Soon only glimpses of river motion and light will be easily visible. Now is the perfect time to enjoy the warmth of the sun and the beginning of the green. If you listen carefully, I think you might hear the popping of the buds into bloom. And oh, how fresh and new it smelled. 

Before pulling my book out of my backpack, I took a deep breath and gave thanks for the gifts of the day, this particular time, and the beauties of creation all round me. As people passed on the path behind my bench, walking, biking, rollerblading, I extended silent blessings to them. I thought about the privileged freedom and spaciousness I have in my life, and I wondered why I don't give myself permission more often for these kinds of pleasures. 

What I know in my heart and sometimes in my head is that opening to moments of daily vacation nurtures my ability and desire to use my gifts and time in other ways, as well. My soul soars when I honor myself with a recess.

A good lesson. I learned one other thing from my bench time: bring a cushion for the bench, for I do like my creature comforts! 

An Invitation
Do you need a recess? If so, how will you gift yourself? I would love to know. 

NOTE: I am totally enthralled by the book I took with me: The Resurrection of Joan Ashby, a debut novel by Cherise Wolas.  I got a copy from the library, but I see in the Sunday NYT Book Review that it has just been released in paperback. The bookseller in me will never fade!



No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted