Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Woodpecker Rhythms: Tuesday's Reflection

I found a new rhythm on one of my recent morning walks.



Woodpecker rhythm.










While walking in the lovely St Paul Seminary gardens I heard the tap, tap, tapppppping of a woodpecker. Much to my delight I was able to locate it on a nearby tree. A red-headed woodpecker.

I moved closer to the tree and the woodpecker moved around to the other side of the trunk. I followed it and discovered two red-headed woodpeckers. Both of them were tap, tap tap dancing their way across the stage and I felt like applauding.

If the woodpecker's tapping were Morse Code, what would the message be? 

When I returned home I looked up woodpeckers in the book Animal-Speak, The Spiritual and Magical Powers of creatures Great and Small by Ted Andrews and learned that in the Native American tradition woodpeckers are connected to the heartbeat of the Earth itself. I think I felt that heartbeat as I stood at the base of that tree looking up at the red-headed drummers. 

Andrews also says that woodpeckers are a signal to "drum some new changes and rhythms into your life." 
               ...it will become increasingly important to you
               to drum some new changes and rhythms into your
               life...Do what works for you in the manner best
               for you...the foundation is there. It is now safe
               to follow your own rhythms. (p. 207)

Actually, I am quite content with the current rhythm of my life and wouldn't mind if the patterns and routines I've established simply continued, but perhaps I need to question the status quo and open to new possibilities. Do I need to accelerate my rhythm or slow it down? What would a different rhythm feel like? 

These seem like good questions to consider when one's life circumstances change; for example, when retirement comes tapping into one's life. Or as we move closer and closer to a new season. What new rhythm is now possible? In this time of my life, what rhythm is waiting to pulse into my days? 

The woodpecker reminds me to be aware of different ways to move through my days--that there is more than one way to orchestrate my time. I have no idea what that means, but when I figure it out, I hope I remember to thank the red-headed drum majors. 

An Invitation
How well is your current rhythm working for you? Are you ready for a change. I would love to know. 













2 comments:

  1. Thank you Nancy for your observations and thoughtful words. As a new retiree this morning's words struck a chord with me! Peace! Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your retirement. Enjoy each day.

      Delete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted