Thursday, August 9, 2018

Free Libraries: Thursday's Refections

Do you have Little Free Libraries in your neighborhood? We have many scattered throughout our neighborhood and somedays my morning walk is almost like going to the public library or a used bookstore.

Little Free Libraries, in case you aren't familiar with them, are waterproof boxes located in front yards of host "librarians." Anyone can leave books already read and no longer wanted in a personal home library. Near our front door we have a basket where we pile books ready to be donated. All Little Free Library books, by the way, are free and available to any one passing by. 

I find it difficult to pass by one of these Little Free Libraries without checking out the current selections. You never know what you may find. For example, recently, I found two books I had requested at the public library: Kristin Hannah's most recent book, Great Alone and A Piece of the World by Christina Baker Kline. Many others have requested these books, and who knows when it would have been my turn. My husband has had great luck, too, often returning from a walk with the latest page-turner. 

I don't always come home with a book, but often I come home with the possible portrait of a reader. Take a look at these books:



What do you see? I see a reader who has had breast cancer, but has survived and now passes on books that helped her and her family during that traumatic time. I see books that helped them cope. A book on Ignatian spirituality. A book about baking bread--such a sensual and loving task. A light novel when escape was needed. And speaking of escape--a journal about sailing. 

Now, of course, I have no way to know the real story or even if all these books were donated by the same person. I didn't take any of these books, nor did I have one to leave, but I did leave a whispered blessing both to the person or persons whose books these once were and even more to the person who will open this box and gasp, "Oh, these are just what I need." 


Such a gift these little libraries are! 

An Invitation
What do you do with the books you no longer want to keep on your shelves? I would love to know.





2 comments:

  1. I love these little free libraries! I would love to build one of my own for my front yard, but we have a big ditch in front of our house and so there's no way someone could get to a little library unless they waltzed through my front yard, which that idea I'm not fond of. Anyway, I do several things with my used books...some I sell to used bookstores, others I donate, and still others I list on paperbackswap.com.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted