Thursday, August 2, 2018

Smile Time: Thursday's Reflection

I have not found many reasons to smile lately. That isn't quite accurate. Reasons for smiling are all around me--hugs from our grandson when he returned from camp, monarch butterflies playing in the garden, a lovely thank you note from a recent visitor to our home, a drive in the country where the corn reaches into the sky.

The problem is that sometimes I stop noticing. Or if I notice, it is only in passing. Instead, I focus on all that distresses and disturbs me. And there is quite the list. 

What I needed was something to surprise me into feeling glee. Almost giddy. 

One day this week a friend and I went to an exhibit at the American Swedish Institute in Minneapolis to see a new exhibit about the Swedish clothing and housewares designer, Gudrun Sjoden. I knew it would be colorful and fun, for I have seen ads for her clothing, but truly, I had no idea. 

I couldn't stop smiling. 


Now the clothes may not be your style, but frowning when you see them is not an option. They shout, "Let's play." Somehow I think wearing a piece of her clothing would make me not only happy, but more creative. Yes, there is joy in the world, and how grateful I am for the people who remind us of that fact. 







The morning after going to the exhibit, it was raining. I could have grabbed my umbrella and gone on my usual morning walk, but doing that felt like doing my duty. Exercising, no matter what. 

Instead, I decided to create my own joy. 
Bake cookies! How long has it been since I have done that? I decided to  bring cookies to our granddaughter when we visit her at camp this week. And that's what I did, smiling the whole time. 

An Invitation
What has made you smile recently? I would love to know. 








2 comments:

  1. I have to admit those giant watercolors and brushes brought a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing the exhibit, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you enjoyed the exhibit--and the post.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted