Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Superpowers: Tuesday's Reflection




My grandchildren have superpowers.




No doubt, if you have grandchildren, you have noticed they have superpowers, too. Or perhaps you observe the children in your neighborhood and are in awe of their superpowers.

Maren, age 15, who recently returned to camp from over two weeks of canoeing in the Quetico, always amazes me with her strength. Physical strength, yes, but emotional and spiritual strength, too. She takes her superpower with her wherever she goes, and wherever she goes, people recognize those powers. 

Peter, age 10, was nervous about going away for a week of sleep away camp, and I asked him to think about his superpowers. He seemed unsure about that, but thought his ability to make friends quickly was one of his superpowers. I agreed, but also suggested his curiosity is another superpower. That seemed to be a new thought for him. 




Lately, I have been aware of superpowers in others around me. Women, now widows after the deaths of their spouses of many years, who are creating new lives for themselves. I hear them state how they feel and what they need. I see newly retired friends making room in their lives for next steps. No step too small. I know people who face health challenges yes, with courage and hope, but also honesty and realism. All around me are people who are using their creative or intellectual gifts. In other words, I see examples of love and life all around. Superpowers! 

Experiences, like going away to camp, help the young people in our lives discover their strengths, and that is a good thing, for we continue to need our superpowers as we move through our lives. In fact, now seems like a good time to ask yourself, “What exactly are my superpowers? Now is not the time to be shy or modest. Actually, now is the time to acknowledge and appreciate and even nourish our superpowers. 

I'll start: One of my superpowers (for I assume, like you, I have more than one) is my ability to listen with the ears of my heart. I nourish that superpower by giving myself time to be alone when I can listen to my own inner voice, the whisper of Spirit. 

Now it's your turn. 

First, one more thing. When I made notes to myself about this post, I wrote SP as an abbreviation for superpower--the same abbreviation I use for "spiritual practices." Interesting, huh?

Now it's your turn. 

An Invitation
What are your superpowers? Which of my superpowers do you need right now? How do you nourish them? I would love to know. 

NOTE ABOUT MISSING COMMENTS:  I recently learned that I am not receiving all notifications about readers' comments. In the past I was sent an email that a comment awaited my approval. I then would read the comment and publish it. Well, apparently I have not always received that notification when someone attempted to make a comment. I really appreciate your comments and so apologize for not including them on my posts. I think those missing comments are now in place and hope I have corrected the situation from now on. 

2 comments:

  1. Testing your comment section. I always read and enjoy your posts, writing is definitely a super power of yours. Thank you. John S

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a legacy to leave to the grandchildren, being aware of your own superpowers. Now if only the superpower of technology works, I can leave a comment at last to let you know that I have been enjoying your posts.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted