Tuesday, May 4, 2021

The First Week in May


This week feels like an open window. Fresh air flows in, along with birdsong, the chimes from the chapel at the University of St Thomas, the lively play of the children on our block, and the congenial conversation of walkers passing by the house. 

At the same time I noticed the grime on the sills between the screens and the glass panes. Nothing that can't be easily removed, of course. All that's needed is some soap and water and a little time. How good it is to cleanse, to freshen what has been unseen. 

It is May, the first week of May. A time to welcome, to begin, to renew and revive, to notice, to awaken to pleasures and gifts. 


May 1: I opened the front door Saturday morning intending to sweep the front steps and what did I see but a May basket! No card was included, but I have an idea who delivered it. What could be sweeter, more uplifting than to be remembered. The flowers are now on the ledge in front of my desk, and a reminder for me to send May blessings to others. Later in the day we had dinner with friends on their patio. We kept saying how good it was--the warmth of the day, the warmth of our friendship. 

May 2:  Sunday began with worship, which never fails to inspire and lift, ground and touch me. That evening we gathered with a group of friends in our home. Before the pandemic we shared a potluck supper with these loved ones every six weeks or so and oh, how I have missed those times of sharing and laughter and hugs! How good it was to expand and set the table and know we can begin again.


May 3:  In April I finished writing the current version of my spiritual memoir. This week I have set aside three days, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, for an in-house retreat. I settled into my Girlfriend Chair in the garret and feeling both eager and anxious, I began to read aloud what I have written in this long process. My intention for these days is to determine my next steps. 

May 4:    Along with publishing this new post, I enter Day 2 of my writing retreat. 


Looking Ahead: The Rest of the Week. 

May 5:    Day 3 of my writing retreat, but also the first meeting of a Writers' Circle I have been invited to join. The purpose of this monthly group led by Elizabeth Jarrett Andrew is not to critique each other's writing, but to be contemplative listeners for each other and ourselves in our writing life. The timing feels exactly right. 

May 6:  Nothing on the calendar. Will I need more time to read the manuscript through? Will this day be one of creating a new plan for the book or will it be a day of re-entry to the other aspects of my life? A home-tending day? A play day? A day to sit on the patio and read? I have no idea. 


May 7:   A year ago on this day my father died at the age of 96. I have written about him often on this blog, for he was a strong and loving influence in my life. He died peacefully, and unafraid, knowing he was loved. What could be better, but I miss him every day. 


I look ahead to the rest of the month, which includes Mother's Day, and appointments with clients (several are now in person, rather than on Zoom), times with my writing group, the birthday of a dear friend, a gathering with some friends from college and who knows what else.

My prayer is that this will be a month of open windows. 

An Invitation
What windows are you opening? I would love to know. 

Note: A reader sent me this link to Black-Owned businesses across the U.S. Check it out. https://www.websiteplanet.com/blog/support-black-owned-businesses/









1 comment:

  1. Dearest Nancy...I truly enjoyed your Inspirational & Timely Blog today!! I didn't realize that your Beloved Father died on May 7th which is my 3rd Brother, Gil's Birthday! Gil will be 79 years old this coming Friday! We were very close growing up, and I am his son's Godmother, and He & his lovely Wife are our daughter's Godparents!! Through the Blessing of the "Zoom Window, We have been connecting weekly with our wonderful Family throughout the Covid Pandemic! As we First Unitarians often say..."Amen and Blessed Be!" Our Best Wishes Always to Your Beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted