Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Easily Led Astray: Time Away from the Desk



 My intention was to finish the draft for an essay on aging and reading for BookWomen, but then my husband tempted me with a drive to a charming river town where there is one of his favorite nurseries. 

"Great," I said without hesitation and off we went. 

I'll write tomorrow I told myself.

And then the next day just as I was ready to head up to the garret for writing time, that husband of mine enticed me with a another drive, this time to one of our favorite small towns in Wisconsin where, of course, there was another nursery. "We can have lunch at the cafe with the good pie."

I was ready in a flash.

Yes, I am easily led astray, and what a lovely day we had. Lake Pepin was sparkling and the pie (blackberry-raspberry was delicious) and I even found a new journal in one of the sweet little shops. Bruce, of course, bought more plants for the garden, but you'll hear no complaining from me. 

On our way home we turned onto a country road unfamiliar to us and were rewarded by seeing trillium in the woods and farms with calves and colts, newly discovering their world, and even a llama still with his shaggy winter coat. Almost home we saw young people in caps and gowns walking towards Macalester College for their graduation ceremony. I sent them blessings for a rich and meaningful life. 

Once home I considered briefly doing some writing, but instead grabbed the book I am currently reading and my wide-brimmed hat and stretched out on the patio sectional. The day was too glorious and the garden too enchanting to only view from a window.

I'll write tomorrow, I told myself, and I will. It's not that I dislike writing. In fact, I cherish my hours of writing, but some days are not writing days. Some days are play days. No regrets. 

How grateful I am to have the luxury of being led astray. 

An Invitation
How good are you at being led astray? I would love to know. 



1 comment:

  1. I love spontaneous moments like that! My husband and I sometimes get so busy that we finally to "to heck with it" and just jump in the car and go somewhere fun. I'm glad you got a chance to do just that.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted