Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Praying My Way to November 3

 

My morning meditation and prayer time has expanded. I sit in my comfortable Girlfriend Chair longer and longer and then extend that prayer time as I walk or do all the other routine tasks of the day. 

Morning meditation and prayer becomes evening meditation and prayer. 

And then there is another day--another day closer to election day.

My daily attempt is to stay calm.

                 Jesus spoke...and there was a great calm.
                                           Luke 8: 24

Sometimes it helps to have someone else's words as a guide, and I thank dear friend Jim Borgschatz for writing these words.

    In the place of fear, we cannot see God's Presence
   With ill will or hatred, we do not know the peace of God
   In the midst of accusation and defense, our awareness of God is cut
         off.
    Listening to the endless flow of opinion overshadows the still small 
         voice of God.
    Though God speaks, angry noise and conscious deceit blocks our
         ears.
    When we have no love, nor live in its intention, we've turned away
         from God's creativity.
    Put all that aside and let God be God within and around and always. 


                                                                            

Here's how I am using Jim's words. I say each line aloud or to myself and then, breathing in an out slowly, finding my own rhythm, I repeat a key phrase in the line. I rest in those words, allowing them to move into my heart, to become part of my being in that moment, and to extend into the universe. 

   In the place of fear, we cannot see God's Presence
                            God's Presence
   
   With ill will or hatred, we do not know the peace of God.
                            The peace of God
   
    In the midst of accusation and defense, our awareness of God is cut
         off.
                            Awareness of God

    Listening to the endless flow of opinion overshadows the still small 
         voice of God.
                            The still small voice of God

    Though God speaks, angry noise and conscious deceit blocks our
         ears.
                            God speaks

    When we have no love, nor live in its intention, we've turned away
         from God's creativity.
                            God's creativity

    Put all that aside and let God be God within and around and always. 
                            Let God be God.
                            Always. All ways. 


Throughout the day one or more of these phrases resonates with me, calls to me. Hearing the bells ring on each quarter hour from the chapel on the University of St Thomas campus, I whisper, "God's creativity" or "God speaks." When I receive an email from a friend, I think, "God's presence." When I watch the PBS News Hour at 6:00, I remind myself, "Let God be God," and when I close the book I am reading, turn out the light, and close my eyes, I pray, "The peace of God."

Are words enough? No, of course not, but I pray the words will  support and guide me towards right action and will strengthen a life force of love.

An Invitation
What words are in your heart and on your lips these days? I would love to know.



Some Recommendations from the Past Week
1.    Podcast:Unlocking Us with Bene Brown --two recent episodes. September 23, "On My Mind. RBG, Surge Capacity  and Play as an Energy Source." and September 16, " Sonya Renee Taylor on "The Body is Not an Apology."

2.    I've recommended Diane Butler's Bass's blog The Cottage before. This week I really appreciated her idea to think of the days leading up to the election as a Lenten practice. 

3.    Podcast: If you are Louise Penny fans and eagerly await each new Three Pines mystery, you will enjoy hearing her on the Club Book, Minnesota's Coolest Book Club podcast. The talk was way back on September 4, 2014, and my friend Becky and I were in the audience. I loved listening to it again. I loved Penny's most recent book, by the way--All The Devils Are Here, set in Paris. 















No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted