Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Create Community: Tuesday's Reflection



I spotted this sign while walking through my neighborhood. It was tucked in a garden near the sidewalk. Unassuming, as truths often are. I sent a kiss and a blessing to the homeowners whose sign it is before I continued my stroll. 

I invite you to read the words on this sign. 

Do so contemplatively. Read them more than once. Ask yourself, "What am I currently doing to build community? What else can I do to create community right here, right now?"

I love that this sign offers concrete steps to build community--none of them massive, but each one meaningful, especially when combined with an open heart. Perhaps that is the key anyway. An open heart.

What are you doing to expand your heartfulness? 

I suspect as you practice open-hearted living and loving, you will just naturally create a more vibrant and inclusive community, and as you practice community building, your heart will grow bigger and stronger. 


Our last hymn in church on Sunday was "We are Called" by David Haas. I love the refrain:
            We are called to live with justice.
            We are a called to love tenderly.
            We are called to walk humbly with God.

And may I add, "We are called to open our hearts and create community." 

An Invitation
What will you do to enhance your community? I would love to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted