Tuesday, March 26, 2019

What I Didn't Do This Winter: Tuesday's Reflection

The snow is melting, faster than the wicked witch in the Wizard of Oz dissolved when she was doused with water. Bare brown patches are appearing, and the parking only on one side of the street regulation has been lifted. Normally, I am not ready for winter to be over. Like a bear content in her cave, in years past I have pretended not to smell spring in the air. 

Not this year. I am ready to shed the winter layers of heavy coat and scarf and gloves and boots and to fold up the shawl and throws.  Think salads, instead of stews and soups, I say. 

Bring on the spring energy.

The change of seasons, however, also requires, at least for me, some evaluation, and I turn to my winter to do lists in my bullet journal. How did I do?

Pretty good, I think. It has been a productive writing time. I have revised three chapters of my memoir and started on a 4th. I snuggled in on long winter's nights to read and read and read for a total of  reading 31 books since the beginning of the new year. That's what bears do in their caves!  

I have done a number of other things on my list, but where do my eyes gravitate? To what I didn't do this winter. Of course.

I didn't:
*     Organize the family photos. How many years have I failed to start, let alone accomplish that goal? I had great hopes of at least creating some photo books with specific themes. Nope. Didn't happen.
*      Organize important documents--all the information our family will need if/when something happens to Bruce or myself. We have our advanced directives, and we made our plans for cremation, but the rest of it is not in good order. 
*       Redo my blog. I know there are things I could do to attract more readers. I should have a website, I am told. I keep thinking about hiring someone to help me with this, but then I don't.
*       Use the exercycle every morning. I did use it some, and I liked using it, so why didn't I make that part of my routine? Nor did I use our snowshoes, and that is a real shame, for the snow was perfect this year. 
*       Visit the Minneapolis Institute of Arts (MIA) for the special exhibits during African-American History Month nor did we go on a field trip to the Maritime Museum in Winona, Minnesota. We had planned to do that, but the weather changed our plans more than once. 
*        Make my mammogram appointment. Actually, I can cross that off the list, for I made that call yesterday.

I missed my chance with some of the items on the list. Others become perennial leftovers. Maybe next season. Maybe next winter. 

I haven't yet made a Spring List. I am like that bear at the entrance of the cave, its nose twitching in the fresh air. Can I trust that winter has truly ended? Maybe I'll wait to make a new list till all evidence of snow in our yard has disappeared. Maybe I'll wait till my husband can't resist a trip to the nursery any longer and comes home with pansies for a planter on the front steps. Maybe I'll wait till Lent has turned into Easter's resurrection. Or maybe I won't make a list this season. What would that feel like? 

                 Help me to be less fearful of the measure
                 of time, and more fully alive in the time that
                 simply is. Help me to live time, not just to
                 simply use it; to breathe it in, and return it in
                 acts of love and presence. 
                                                   Avis Crowe

An Invitation
What was on your winter list? How did you do? I would love to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted