Thursday, March 28, 2019

Embracing Age: Thursday's Reflection

Recently, one of my spiritual directees told me she admires the way I embrace my age. I appreciated the compliment, even though my actual first thought was, "What choice do I have?" But, of course, we each have a choice. We each have the ability and the opportunity to choose our attitude, our approach to these older years, even when there are challenges. And, of course, there are challenges. 

So what does it mean to embrace my age?

My ongoing goal, hope, gift is to become the person I was created to be and when I stay awake to that unfolding intention, I embrace my life --past, present, and whatever future is ahead for me.

One way I try to do that is by holding in my heart several key questions as ongoing touchstones:
*     What is important in my life right now?
*     What is my purpose and what gives my life meaning?
*     What worries me and how do I need to address those concerns?
*     Where do I find joy and fulfillment?
*     What am I learning about myself?
*     How do I share my gifts and make a difference?
*     What do I need to surrender? 
*     Where do I find strength? Hope? Support? Inspiration? 

I embrace this time in my life because I choose to live it, supported by my spiritual practices, as a time of renewal and spiritual growth.

Thomas Moore's most recent book, Ageless Soul, The Lifelong Journey Toward Meaning and Joy is one of many companions on this journey. Here are two quotations:

             ...our eternal, unchanging selves--I prefer to 
            call it our soul--become more visible over time.
            This is the key sign that you are aging and not
            merely spending time--gradually you discover
            your original self, your own pristine way of being...
            If you really age, you become a better person.
                                                              p. 3

            If the Buddha remained in his protected environ-
            ment, he might have been happier, but he wouldn't
            have become the Buddha. Similarly, if we agree to
            remain ignorant of life's challenges, we will forever
            be cut off from our deepest selves. That is why 
            taking on aging is so important. We have to be with
            what is, not what we wish the situation could be.
                                                               p. 30

An Invitation
Are you embracing, denying or fighting age? I would love to know. 

NOTE: Next week is spring break for our grandson, and my husband and I are in charge. I suspect there won't be much time or leftover energy to write blog posts! I'll be back Tuesday, April 9





4 comments:

  1. Great photo of you, Nancy! And I feel so fortunate to be living into my wisdom years. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! In so many ways this is a wonderful time of life.

      Delete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted