Tuesday, March 5, 2019

My Paris Obsession: Tuesday's Reflection

I seem to be in the midst of a mild obsession.

An obsession with Paris.

Earlier this year while browsing in a small local shop, I found a metal sculpture of the Eiffel Tower. I had been looking for one to install in the small garden at the side of our house. I call that garden "Paris." In my mind I imagine French doors of a chic Paris apartment opening onto a private courtyard garden only big enough for a bistro table and two chairs and some pots of lavender. A perfect space to enjoy a glass of wine while reading a charming novel about a bookstore in Paris.  

Also, all winter I have been reading in brief snatches a lovely book called Paris in Winter, An illustrated Memoir by Minnesota writer and artist, David Coggins. (See here.) If you are a regular reader of this blog, perhaps you are experiencing deja vu, for I described my fascination with this book and my Paris fantasies in an earlier post. (January 31, 2019) Well, the fantasy continues.

The book is a series of vignettes about the Coggins' family annual New Year's trip to Paris --the food, the antique shops, the walks, the museums, the new friends and the celebrity sightings. For brief moments, while waiting for the pot on the stove to boil or as a bridge from working at my desk on the garret (alas, not in Paris!) to fixing dinner, I have immersed myself in a French version of the fine art of living. 

I finished reading this book one night when I couldn't sleep. I got out of bed and moved into the living room where I wrapped myself in my most luxurious shawl, which, I might add, traveled to Paris with me--my one and only trip there--and finished the book.

                "Do you think we will ever have a room of our
                own in Paris?" I ask.
                "I don't think so."
                "Why not?"
                "You don't want to live here. It wouldn't be the same."
                                                                           p. 263

No, I don't want to live in Paris, but I do want to live in the fantasy for awhile. And so the daydreaming and the reading continue. 

This weekend I finished reading Marcel's Letters, A Font and the Search For One Man's Fate by another Minnesota writer, Carolyn Porter. Porter while browsing in an antique shop finds some letters written in French during WWII. This purchase leads her not only to design a new font, but also to search for the writer of these letters and his family and learn his story. This becomes Porter's obsession; one that is truly fascinating to read. Eventually, of course, she travels to Paris.



Not done with my Paris obsession, I browse my Paris bookshelf. Along with small souvenirs of Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower, a sweet painting I bought from an artist on a Paris street, and a map folded and attached inside a little book that I bought at an antique show in Ohio, I have a stack of books to keep me entertained during this long winter.

I decide to reread A Writer's Paris, A Guided Journey for the Creative Mind by Eric Maisel (See here.) who advises running off to Paris to write. I won't be doing that, but I can pretend.
                 Write wherever you find yourself, whether in
                 a cafe or the Louve, whether on a park bench
                 or sitting in a blissfully empty gallery at the
                 d'Orsay. 

Write wherever you find yourself.
Exercise your imagination wherever you find yourself.
Be the person you were created to be wherever you are. No matter how much snow is piled around you. 
And that is enough. 

An Invitation
What is your current obsession? And what are you doing about it? I would love to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted