Thursday, September 20, 2018

The Richness of Days: Thursday's Reflection

Some days are just rich. They taste good, smell good. They fill the heart. They refresh the mind and connect with Spirit. 

Some days I just feel rewarded for living. 

Today is one of those days. Let me share a few of the gifts. 

I started my Wednesday copying the day's meditation from Celtic Treasure by J. Philip Newell. I especially love the closing words:
                The blessings of heaven,
                the blessings of earth,
                the blessings of sea and of sky.
                On those we love this day
                and on every human family
                the gifts of heaven,
                the gifts of earth,
                the gifts of sea and of sky. 

Much of the morning I spent in "Memoir Immersion." After taking time off this summer to let my spiritual memoir breathe and also to focus on planning the 3rd Chapter retreat I presented last week, I have returned to my memoir project, beginning with revision of the first chapters. Thank heavens I have a "Revision Rewards" bag to inspire me.


My wonderful sister filled a bag with treats and when I need a reward beyond the awareness that I am doing what I need to do, I can open a present. After working for over two hours, but not sure I am making progress, I opened Present #1. The Post-it notes cube is terrific, of course, but more than that is the support it represents. Thanks, sis!


Then it was time for lunch, and my husband and I had a date with our amazing granddaughter Maren who has the day off from school. She is a sophomore in high school, and you know what that means. She is busy--and we don't get the kind of time with her that we did when she was younger. 

Such a good conversation we had with her about her classes and activities at school and, of course, about books. She read my all-time favorite book, Pride and Prejudice, this summer and yes, she really liked it too. Will a Pride and Prejudice movie marathon be in our future? She is a delight, and the hour with her will keep me filled for a long time. 


This afternoon I made a batch of tomato soup with tomatoes I bought at the farmers' market on Saturday. A messy task, but ooh the smell and soon the taste. I may return to the kitchen and make applesauce for the first time this fall. 

As if all these gifts weren't enough, a friend and I arranged our next get-together date; another friend texted me a happy picture of herself; Peter, our grandson will be here after school today; and tonight I am going to a writing class. A rich day indeed. 

True, not everything is great. We have an invasion of ants, but Bruce took steps to show them who's boss, and they will move on. And the world continues to reverberate with pain and loss and fear and scary stuff everywhere, but still there remains good tastes, good smells, full hearts, refreshments for the mind, and love and connection with Spirit. Life is rich. 

An Invitation

What are the gifts of your day? I would love to know. 




4 comments:

  1. a preview of our future as we attended my husband's Parkinson's support group

    ReplyDelete
  2. May you feel the richness of support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Warm sun on my back and cool breeze on my face as our boat was anchored on a lake while I read a book on healing by Joni Erickson Tada . . . amazing insight from an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted