Tuesday, September 11, 2018

A Survey of Myself and a Recipe: Tuesday's Reflection

I'm cheating today and not writing a real post. 

Friday I am giving a retreat called Who Am I Now, A Birthday Party for Your 3rd Chapter. (If you live in the Twin Cities, spaces are still available. Let me know right away, if you are interested.) 

Anyway, I have a lengthy TO DO List to complete in order to feel fully ready for the retreat, and do not feel very contemplative or reflective. Instead, here is a survey I have conducted of myself. Maybe you would like to do the same. 

I am loving this cooler fall weather. Our windows are open. I wore a sweater Sunday to church. We have a quilt on the bed. Delicious. And one pumpkin under glass! 

I am reading The Soul's Slow Ripening, 12 Celtic Practices for Seeking the Sacred, Christine Valters Paintner newest book. I laughed outloud when I read in the introduction her assertion that she had started a journey toward becoming a "recovering planner." Where can I sign up? I am also continuing to read the first volume of the Taylor Branch trilogy about the Martin Luther King, Jr years, but that is too heavy to hold when I read in bed, so my bedtime book is The Map of Salt and Stars by Jennifer Zeynab Joukhadar. 

I am watching on Amazon Prime all the seasons of DCI Banks, and I recently watched and really recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society (Netflix), which I thought was just as good as the book, even though the title is awful.

I am listening to a podcast called "Just the Right Book," and that means my book list is growing. I also love the "On Being" podcast with Krista Tippett. Of course, Minnesota Public Radio is my ongoing first choice, but I was weary of listening to the Kavanaugh confirmation hearings. 

I am eating apricot oat bars, a Giada De Laurentiis recipe. I made these for Labor Day supper at my sister's house and made them again for Rally Day picnic  at church this past Sunday and with any reason at all I will make them again. Here's the recipe:
Vegetable oil cooking spray
1 (13 oz jar apricot jam or preserves (about 1 1/4 cups)
8 dried apricots, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces (about 1/3 cup)
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 packed cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 cups old-fashioned oats
1 cup (4 ounces) coarsely chopped walnuts
16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg, beaten, at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13x2-inch metal baking dish with vegetable oil. Line the bottom and sides of the pan with parchment. Spray the parchment with vegetable oil.

In a small bow mix the jam and apricots.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Stir in the oats and walnuts. Add the butter, egg, and vanilla and stir until incorporated.

Using a fork or clean fingers, lightly press half of the crust mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan. Using a spatula, spread the filling over the crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge of the pan. Cover the filling with the remaining crust mixture and gently press to flatten.

Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until light golden. Cool for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Cut into bars and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days. 

Enjoy--and I know you will!

I am writing NOT MUCH. Post retreat I will return to working on my memoir. 

I am looking forward to more fall days, decorating with pumpkins, making applesauce, and putting away summer clothes. I do my happy dance on these days. How about you?

An Invitation
How would you complete the above prompts (I am reading..., I am listening to... etc)? I would love to know. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted