Thursday, September 6, 2018

A Mystery and Words of Wisdom: Thursday's Reflection

You never know when or where or how you will receive words of
wisdom. Sometimes they even appear in a mystery series.











Recently, I had a crummy cold--mainly, an unrelenting cough--and I spent more than my usual time in the snug reading. I am slowly making my way through Taylor Branch's Parting the Waters, America in the King Years (1954-63) in preparation for a civil rights tour we are taking to Alabama and Mississippi in November. Although LONG, this book is fully absorbing and extremely well-written, but sometimes I needed a break from the documented horrors of that time. 

This would have been the perfect time to read a new Louise Penny mystery, but her next one comes out later this fall. However, waiting patiently on one of my TO BE READ shelves was a mystery by an author unfamiliar to me, Julia Spencer-Fleming. Did someone recommend this series to me? Did I read about it in one of my favorite book blogs, like, The Modern Mrs Darcy or was it mentioned in the independent book stores' monthly newsletter? I don't know, but now I am hooked.

The main characters are a female Episcopalian priest, Clare Fergusson and the chief of police, Russ Van Alstyne. The setting is a small town in Vermont. I gobbled up the first book, In the Bleak Midwinter and dashed to a used bookstore and found the third one, Out of the Deep I Cry, which I loved, too. I have ordered three more because, alas, our library system only has them as audio books. 

Back to the words of wisdom part of this blog. 

In the first book one of the characters asks Clare if she thinks prayer can help and she says, 
              I believe that prayer focuses our human thoughts
              and energies and sends them to the people we're
              praying for. I believe that helps, in ways we can't
              yet understand...I believe that God hears our prayers
              and cherishes them. I believe He answers by sending
              us His spirit, giving us strength, and peace, and 
              insight. I don't think He responds by turning away
              bullets and curing cancer. Though sometimes that
              does happen.

When the other character responds, "In other words, sometimes the answer is no?" Clare adds,

              No. Sometimes the answer is 'This is life, in all
              its variety. Make your way through it with grace, 
              and never forget that I love you.'

Like I said, you never know how you will be offered words of wisdom.

An Invitation
What do you believe about prayer? I would love to know. Oh, and do you have any good mysteries to recommend? I would love to know that, too. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted