Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Gifts of Wisdom: Tuesday's Reflection

Last week I facilitated a 3rd Chapter retreat. You are in your 3rd
Chapter, by the way, if you are 55 or older. The retreat was called "Who Am I NOW, A Birthday Party for Your 3rd Chapter," and I used the birthday theme throughout the day. 


We played a game, "Go Fish," in which each person "caught" a prompt as a way to introduce herself/himself to the group.
          I am the person God created me to be when....
          I am (something I would like to be true about myself)
          I am (something I would like others to know about me).
          I once was _____________, but now I am __________.

We had birthday favors--funny sunglasses, and candy, and noisemakers-- and we wore a birthday hat while we ate cupcakes. We blew out candles, made wishes, and sang "Happy Birthday" to ourselves and each other. 

It was a good party, but what would a party be without presents?

Throughout the day we reflected on our stories of loss, but also of growth. We discovered connections as we made new friends. We gained insights about the meaning and purpose of our lives. 

And we shared the gift of wisdom with each other.

At the end of the day each person was given a "gift card," with these words,

         Dear Friend and Colleague in the 3rd Chapter, I offer
             you a gift.
         My best advice, my deepest wisdom is:

         I want you to have this because.


After completing the card, the giver tucked the card in a box,  wrapped it with pretty paper and ribbon, and placed it on our retreat altar. One by one boxes were selected and opened, and each person  received a gift of wisdom.

And because wisdom is best when it isn't held too tightly, here is a present for you, some of the words of wisdom from the birthday party guests:

       My best advice, my deepest wisdom is to be who you desire to 
              be because that is also who God desires you to be.
       I want you to have this because it is the sole thing your soul 
              needs. 

       My best advice, my deepest wisdom is that you are a gift to
             those in your life. Give freely your wisdom to all these
             people. 
        I want you to have this because you will be rewarded over and          
              over again.

        My best advice, my deepest wisdom is to share your joy with 
              everyone you meet.
        I want you to have this because you are a child of God who is 
             on the heavenly journey home. 

We ended the day with these words, 
        NOW is the time to enter and relish each moment we are
        given. We ask for you help, O God, in all the ways you
        know we need your presence. Amen. 

Happy Birthday! 

An Invitation
What words of wisdom do you have to share? I would love to know. 





              

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely retreat and party! I'm newly into my 3rd chapter...I just turned 56. How many chapters are there, by the way? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your entry to the 3rd Chapter. I have no idea how many chapters there are--you get to decide!

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted