Thursday, August 24, 2017

Always More To Do: Thursday's Reflection

One of the categories on my weekly "To Do" list is "Leftovers." This category lists items I didn't complete in a given week, but still intend to do. Week after week this summer I transferred two items. 

1.     Take several pieces of jewelry to someone who can repair them.

2.      Make an appointment with Bradshaw Funeral and Cremation Services to arrange for green cremation of our bodies after we have died. 

This week I finally acted on both items, and, of course, after doing them, I wondered what took me so long? Why did I delay? After all, I had checked off many tasks each week, so why did I procrastinate about these two assignments?

Of course, sometimes when a task is ignored long enough, the need for it disappears. I certainly could have decided that having these various pieces of jewelry repaired was not necessary. I have more than enough jewelry, but these are pieces I have worn often and would enjoy wearing them again. In the case of planning ahead for our cremation, I could decide to leave those arrangements to our family when the time comes, but does that make sense when we can do it now? 

Some items I tell myself I need to do never make it to my "to do" list--tasks like sorting and organizing our boxes of photographs or like consulting with someone about how to improve the look and use of this blog. Both of these things weigh on me, but I know I will move them into the "leftover" category week after week, and I just don't want that kind of pressure. 

Much of our daily life can be sorted into "easy tasks" and "hard tasks." Those are different for each of us, of course, but how we respond indicates a lot about who we are now, what is important to us now, and how we are living our life. It occurs to me that our sorting process is part of attempting to live a balanced life. Fixing my jewelry feels like living in the present moment, deciding how to accessorize today's outfit, but with a bow to the past, remembering when I was given a piece or where I bought it. Our green cremation plans acknowledge our mortality, which is the future for each of us.  

Where am I going with this? To be honest, I don't actually know, but I think intentional reflection about how we spend our days, the easy and the difficult, is important. I have today, and I pray I have tomorrow--many tomorrows, but I don't have a crystal ball to give me my personal timeline. I just need to do the best I can to live with grace and purpose. 

An Invitation
What is on your "leftovers" list? What is your criteria for what you do and don't do? I would love to know. 

NOTE: You can find out about Green Cremation here.









2 comments:

  1. Oh, God's timing in guiding your thoughts! Your final statement is my guiding thought for today: "I just need to do the best I can to live with grace and purpose."♡
    -Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this statement this morning: "My deepest me is God." Catherine of Genoa. Perhaps that will guide you in your day of grace and purpose.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted