Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Your Lane: Tuesday's Reflection

"That's my lane. I'm learning how to let others run in their lanes while I stick with mine."
                             Joanna Gaines

The HGTV star and entrepreneur extraordinaire, Joanna Gaines, runs in several lanes at the same time, I think, but this statement in her magazine Magnolia made me pause and reflect.

What's my lane? What are my gifts? Passions? Where is it I most need to focus and how is it I need to share my gifts and live my passions? 

August turning into September feels like the right time to sit with those questions once again, and I like this image of a lane--a bike lane, a country lane, side by side interstate lanes with the lane on the right for slower moving traffic. 

I know there are some things I do well (my lanes) and some things I don't do well and don't even want to do well (some one else's lanes) and I know sometimes lanes turn into trails past unexpected views and sometimes they dead end. The tolls on some lanes are high, but sometimes the cost is worth it. By now, at age 69, I have traveled many lanes and I am better at changing lanes when it is necessary. 

It is my job to recognize those lanes and move forward on them.

Well, this metaphor could go on and on, just like some lanes, but you get the idea.  

Here's what I need to remember: When I take time to listen to my inner voice, to open my heart to the movement of God within me and around me, I become clearer about which lane to follow. 

An Invitation
What is your lane? I would love to know.






No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted