Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Turn on the Light: Tuesday's Reflection

When my mother was still alive, one of her late afternoon habits was to go up to the bedroom she and my father shared and turn on the dresser light, even if it wasn't yet dark. That way when they went up the stairs at bedtime a light showed them the way.

If I was home visiting, she turned on a light in my bedroom, too.
I never thought much about this daily ritual until she died. 

I missed her light. 

I don't know if Mom thought of her light routine as a spiritual practice or even as a touch of love, but that's how it seems to me. She knew that the dark comes, but she also knew she could shine a light through the dark. 

Recent days have seemed dark in our country, and not just because of the eclipse. More than ever we need signs of light, but, of course, the way to create light is to BE the light. Do your remember the children's song sung so often in Sunday School? 
                       This little light of mine. 
                       I'm going to let it shine. 
                       Let it shine. 
                       Let it shine. 
                       Let it shine.

The children stand with light on their faces and as they sing, they lift one finger in the air to symbolize the light they possess, the light they are in the world. 

I hasten to add I am not talking about torches of fire. Instead I am calling forth our own glowing light, the light of our essence, the light we possess for love of the Divine, love of family and friends, love of country and the hope of all we can be.

The other day a friend sent me this Sandra Boynton drawing
because, she said, it made her think of me. I generally sign letters and cards and even emails with either "Love and Light" or "Light Blessings." Blessings and love pair naturally with light, growing  from the light, as well as extending into the light. 

Many days I try to channel my mother's light and turn on our bedroom dresser light before dark and also, a lamp in the window of the room we call "the snug," which is in the front of the house and can be seen by all who pass. This simple act, a spiritual practice, really, reminds me to let my light shine.

The world needs my light.

The world needs your light.

Love and Light and Light Blessings, too, Nancy

An Invitation
How do you let your light shine? I would love to know. 

NOTE: I recommend this video --you will feel lighter. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/new-orleans-mayor-confederate-monument_us_5995a3d3e4b0d0d2cc84c9a7






2 comments:

  1. Light is blessed, as your mother knew What a moving story about her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being such a light-filled reader.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted