Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Summer Reading

 My reading life knows no seasons. Not only do I read voraciously in each of the seasons, but the kind of reading I do does not seem to change with the seasons. My beach reading is simply whatever book I happen to be reading at the moment. 

When I think of summer reading, however, I think about the places where I read in the summer. I slip away from my desk in the garret to read in "Paris" when I have lunch or on the patio when the sun isn't too intense. I remember fondly, almost longingly, the afternoons I lingered on our front porch when we lived in Madison or on the porch swing decades ago when our children were small. 

During our Sweetwater Farm years I reclined on an Adirondack chair under the crabapple tree where the deer came to snack in the early evening hours. And sometimes we drove to Presque Isle on Lake Erie for a white sandy beach day --a lazy day of looking for sea glass and, of course, reading. 

The summers I was fortunate enough to spend a week at Chautauqua, my room on the second floor of an old inn looked out on the lake. I claimed a rocking chair on the balcony as my reading room. 

When I was a child we often moved as soon as school was out for the summer. Almost before the moving van door closed, I got my new library card and filled my days with books. What a bonus if I could bike to the library by myself. 

Many summers our family spent a week or two in northern Minnesota at a simple family resort in northern Minnesota--the kind that is rare these days. I slept on the screened porch and fell asleep reading, lulled by the rhythm of waves lapping against the dock and the small fishing boats. 

One summer, when I was about 12 or so, my mother claimed I wore out the fabric on a chair, reading with my legs slung over one of the arms. That is probably true. 

Even though my summer reading is more about place than genre, that doesn't mean I don't have ideas about what I plan to read this summer. Here's my list--subject to change and whim, of course. 

1.    Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver. I read this lush book years ago, but found a copy in a Little Free Library and now my intention is to reread each of her titles. 

2.    A Well-Tempered Heart by Jan-Philipp Sendker. This is a sequel to The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, which I remember enjoying, but may need to reread before reading #2. I think #3 has been published recently as well--for a future list! 

3.    The Overstory by Richard Powers. This has been on my TBR shelf for a long time, but now may be the time. Like Prodigal Summer this is a book where the life of the natural world is as much a character as the people in the book. 

4.    The Seed Keeper by Diane Wilson. The blurb on the back says the story "follows a Dahkotah family's struggle to preserve their way of life and one woman's search for belonging and community." This book has received great reviews, and besides, it is a book that just feels good to hold. That always counts with me. 

5.    Lady Clementine, a historical novel by Marie Benedict. Lady Clementine is, of course, Clementine Churchill, and there is no doubt she has a story that needs to be told. I spotted this book while browsing in a bookstore, and I love it when I make a book discovery on my own. That is true of the next book on the list, too.

6.    Scones and Scoundresl, The Highland Bookshop Mystery Series Book 2 by Molly Macrae. The bookstore I was in didn't have Book 1, but it is waiting for me now at the library. I love cozy mysteries, especially if a bookshop figures in the plot. This will be perfect for a rainy day!

7.    Owls of the Eastern Ice, A Quest to Find and Save the World's Largest Owl by Jonathan C. Slight. The only nonfiction book on my summer reading list, this book comes highly recommended by our daughter and others normally not attracted to this kind of book. Helen Macdonald who wrote H is for Hawk, which I loved, gave this book a glowing review, and it was long-listed for the National Book Award for Nonfiction, if that is something that you take into account. 


I know there will be some detours. I will follow the reading road wherever it leads, including to the stack of books I gave my husband for Father's Day. We have both read the first two mysteries by Mark Pryor--all set in Paris--and I gave him the other seven. With titles like The Paris Librarian and The Book Artist, who can resist?

Now--isn't it time for a reading break? Happy reading!

An Invitation
What does "summer reading" mean to you and what do you plan to read this summer? I would love to know. 

NOTE: It's not too late to request my new guide, "Summer Spirituality, A Guide to Enhance the Gifts of the Season." The guide invites you to explore the themes of summer, including Summer Spaciousness, Summer Sacred Space, and Summer Silliness. To receive this new guide simply send an email to nagneberg48@gmail.com.
My earlier guide, "Crossing the Threshold, Honoring the New Year, A Guide to Reflect on the Old and Prepare for the New," is still available, too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted