Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Discovering Spiritual Practices in our Day

 

Every morning as I make the bed, I pause at the window that looks out into our backyard. I look to see if it is raining or in the winter if we had any more snow during the night. Is the trio of squirrels we call "the boys" busy with their morning exercise program--scampering across the garage roof? I check the color code in the garden--from the neon zinnias to the richness of red roses or the innocence of the peach and white roses and the variety and diversity of greens. 

I smile in deep gratitude for the beauty I see everyday--no matter the weather, the season, the temperature. I give thanks for my husband the gardener. I give thanks for the precious life we have. 

Later, when I head up the stairs to the garret, I pause once again, this time on the landing, and I enjoy another view of the backyard, but I can also see a corner of our neighbors' backyard. Our new neighbors. 

Sunday morning I saw one of the boys, the 6 year old, I think, watering the flowers. He sort of swooshed the watering can in the direction of the flower bed and then, apparently done, dropped the can on the grass, shrugging his shoulders, as if to say, "Glad that's done." His mother was standing nearby, and I saw her point to the watering can, an unspoken "Put it away, please." He did. 

I smiled and then sent a blessing. "Welcome to the block. May you find contentment and love in your new home. May we be good neighbors for each other."

Morning pauses. My first expressions of spiritual practice in the new day. 

One of my spiritual directees commented recently that her usual spiritual practice of morning meditation time wasn't having the effect it had in the past. Something was missing or wrong or whatever. She was concerned she had lost that spiritual practice.

I asked her to tell me about the rest of her day, and she told me about walking her dog several times a day and how she loved seeing the river and being outside and seeing the changes in nature around her. She told me about the group she has organized to read and discuss a book about racial disparities. 

All I needed to do was smile and say, "Sounds to me like those are spiritual practices."

Just like standing at a window and awakening to what is front of my eyes and sending out blessings, consciously or even consciously are forms of spiritual practice. 

I like what Jane Vennard says in her book, Fully Awake and Truly Alive, Spiritual Practices to Nurture Your Soul, "...spiritual practices are those ways of seeing and being in the world that help us wake up and become fully, truly alive." Some of those practices may be formal or "on cushion" like meditating for 20 minutes every morning or less formal or "off cushion," like chopping vegetables and thanking the farmers for growing the fresh produce we eat or listening, really listening, in the conversation with a friend or acquaintance. 

This is a time in our history that the way we have practiced in the past may not feel life-enhancing or may not seem to be an opening to the movement of God in our lives. Perhaps this is a time in our life when we are having more than normal trouble listening to Spirit's whispers or nudges. 

It may be time to try a different practice or it may be time to broaden your definition of spiritual practice. What in the course of your day is an opportunity to become more aware of God and the person you were created to be? What reminders can you find throughout the day that we are all creations of God, and all are invited to grow and give and be grateful. 

A spiritual practice need not be complicated, but may be simplicity itself.

I leave you today with a simple practice based on an exercise in Jan Richardson's new book, Sparrow, A Book of Life and Death and Life

Turn your left hand palm down in the desire to release all God wants you to release.

Turn your right hand palm up as an invitation to receive all God wants you to receive.

Place your left hand, palm down, over your right hand, palm up, and feel the energy and the blessing and the love you hold. 

May you discover the possibilities for spiritual practice, spiritual connection, as you move through the day.


An Invitation                                                                                            Are you aware of the need for a different kind of spiritual practice in your life right now? What are you doing that you realize is actually a spiritual practice? What is life-enriching now? I would love to know.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Nancy! I love this simple practice and will use it going forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad this resonates with you. Thanks for reading, and I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, Thank you for your insights and dedication to sharing with your reading audience. I want you to know how much I look forward to reading your blog. I eagerly look forward to new things you teach! Blessings, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted