Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Staying at Home: Tuesday's Reflection

"Be prepared to stay home for two weeks."


Although the reason for this piece of advice is not pleasant and causes real concern and difficulties for many, as an introvert, I say, "Really, can I just stay home? That's not only ok, but wise?"

As an older person and a privileged one at that, I can choose to stay home, and I realize that is not possible for many. I am healthy and have good healthcare and have a strong support system in place, too. 

And shelves of books waiting to be read. 









My husband actually said to me, "If we have to confine ourselves to home, maybe you will finish your book." Wishful thinking on his part, I think, for completing my book will take much longer than two weeks, but, as long as I am healthy, I could make writing progress, I am sure. 

No doubt you've heard the recommendation to stock up on food and other necessary supplies to last two weeks, and I have just done that, but how else does one prepare for social confinement? 

For example, how many years have I had on my "this year" list, to organize all the family photographs. This could be the time. 

And what about those junk drawers and overflowing closets? People my age often talk about dealing with all their stuff? Sorting and simplifying. Go to it.

Do you have all the supplies for unfinished craft or sewing or art projects? What about the pile of DVDs you always say you are going to watch again? Like all the seasons of "The West Wing"? Are you someone who used to write letters, but no longer do so? Are there people you would like to stay in touch with beyond the annual Christmas letter? Call, write, email. 

If you still set an alarm clock, turn it off. 

Plan your garden. Knit a prayer shawl. Color. Do yoga or T'ai Chi. Dance to your favorite music. Sing. Play the piano. Look out the window--wash your windows. Set the table with your best dishes and eat soup or grilled cheese by candlelight.

Go for a walk. No, this doesn't break the rules, if you aren't walking with a big group of companions. You can't pass on the virus or get it by passing someone on the sidewalk. The snow and ice is melting, and walking without fear of falling is much more possible. Notice where daffodils are beginning to pop up and wave to all the children biking and shooting baskets. And while you are out and about, stock a Free Library with books you finish reading. 

For of course, you will have spacious time to read. Maybe even War and Peace or other books you've put off reading for lack of time. 

Write in your journal. Start a gratitude list. Create an ethical will.

Sit. Think. Pray. Take on the mantel of contemplation. Hold all who suffer in your heart. 

And then sit and pray some more. If you fall asleep while meditating, don't worry, you can begin your prayers again when you wake up again. 

Be present.
                 The practice of moment-by-moment presence,
                 breath-by-breath awareness, emancipates attention
                 from frivolity, from all that is meaningless, from
                 all the ways in which we squander this precious 
                 human life.   Kathleen Dowling Singh

Use this time as a retreat, a time to deepen your spiritual practice. 
This, too, can be a time of awakening, of acceptance. 

I certainly hope we won't need to confine ourselves in this way, but if it does become necessary, I intend to be ready. 

                         Let there be
                         an opening
                         into the quiet
                         that lies beneath


                         the chaos
                         where you find 
                         the peace
                         you did not think
                         possible
                         and see what shimmers
                         within the storm.
                                     Jan Richardson

May you be well. 

An Invitation
What do you think about being confined to home? I would love to know. 



3 comments:

  1. Dearest Nan, I had to laugh. For years, just like my mom, I say "I need to organize those photos." I have a pile of frames in a corner and have even taken all the items off the top of the large chest in my whatsitroom to make it ready for newly framed photos. As you know I just spent 5 weeks "at home" in an orthopedic boot thinking "I could get to those photos, or clean out the art cupboard, or or..." I did order garden seeds and almost finished a quilt. Now, just when I'm "free," our governor is wondering about expanding the areas of confinement. Phoebe called the other night to ask what I have and what I need because they were going shopping to "stock up." Molasses was my answer. How fortunate I am - I only need a new jar of molasses to stay home for two weeks, near family in walking distance with the back yard gardens calling. Carry on with love for this world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a member of the US epic center community, we have watched and for > 2 weeks participated in social distancing and now voluntarily and by containment and mitigation standards find ourselves at home, alone and together with our family. We are aware that the trajectory of the timeline for our community will extend this lifestyle for the next 6-8 weeks.
    My thoughts - there is no denying I am part of a global community. I include all those sick with and impacted by Covid 19 in my morning prayer-there is no one excluded by race, religion, national origin, job, gender identity. economic status; I am grateful for the incredible public health experts and professionals who unwaveringly provide information and guidance based on the data available in this country and throughout the world; Tony Fauci is a stalwart warrior who with colleagues from across the world has successfully stemmed what seemed to be catastrophic epidemics into well managed chronic diseases and sporadic resurgences of diseases that now have effective vaccines and treatment protocols - HIV and Ebola and others; I know that with widespread testing the numbers will go up at an alarming rate but I also know that until we have an accurate number of the extent of the spread of Covid 19, we cannot effectively institute decreasing the spread, mitigation and containment plans in each of our communities. I also know that as testing increases beyond the tight parameters that have been in place, i.e. those already ill, the percentage of positive cases among those tested and the percentage of those dying will decrease allowing me to align my fears with facts - my risk of contracting Covid 19 is low and what I can do for myself, my family and my community by decreasing my contacts does make a major difference. After settling into a new community over the last four months, this past weekend was the first time that my husband and I had a totally cleared calendar. I read Nancy’s TO DO offerings and compare them to what we have already instituted in our life and what we look forward to - high on our list is to walk/hike the many parks in our community that we have yet to visit. We continue to ferry over to Seattle to be supportive to our daughter, son-in-law and new granddaughter but stay in our car on the ferry and know that staying healthy is what allows us to be part of their lives. We rigorously adhere to best infection control practices, go to bed earlier and are enjoying cooking wonderfully nutritious meals and sharing them with our daughter and her husband. My prayer for each of you - May you be well, May you be peaceful and at ease and May you be happy and free of suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As things are closing down in our state I'm looking at it as a retreat. I live in a smalll community and someone has recommended we do a shamrock hunt tomorrow. People will put shamrocks in their windows and as you walk the neighborhood you will look for them and count how many you find. I found a lovely Celtic shamrock online that is a labrinth. I'm prayerfully coloring it to hang in my front window.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted