Monday, April 8, 2019

Thinking about Big-ness: Tuesday's Reflections

What image do you have of something "big"? 


Last week we experienced BIG with our grandson Pete. In Duluth we drove along the North Shore and, of course, Lake Superior itself is BIG. Our hotel was on the canal and we watched a BIG ship full of ore glide past our windows. 








We toured the railroad museum and the vintage locomotives were BIG. 













The 39-room, 2700 square feet Glensheen Mansion, once home to the Congdon family in Duluth was also BIG and quite magnificent. 








And then in Ely, MN, we toured both the International Wolf Center and the North American Bear Center, where we met the black bear Ted, who had only recently emerged from hibernation. Before his long winter's sleep he weighed about 700 pounds. I guess you could call that BIG.





Certainly, size is one way to think BIG. 

Or I think about what a BIG event (and relief and joy) it was to welcome our 16 year old granddaughter home from 10 days in India traveling with a group from her school. 




And the BIG news we received when Pete, who is 11, was awarded an academic scholarship to the school he will begin attending in the fall. 

Over the years we've all experienced BIG moments in our lives. 
                 The first time we...
                 The beginning (or end) of ...
                 The fulfillment of...
                 The moment when...

You fill in the blanks.

More and more, however, my BIG moments are smaller and perhaps more tender, more quiet, but no less special.

Here area few of the things that feel BIG to me now:
* Seeing pussywillows, even though drifts of snow remain, as we drove from Duluth to Ely.
* Enjoying a Mother-Daughter dinner.
* Hearing that our daughter-in-love's father has returned home from a few days in the hospital.
* Listening to Maren's stories shared about visiting a girls' school in India.
* Planning a writing retreat for myself.
* Holding the space in prayer as someone walks the labyrinth
* Glancing around our sanctuary during a service and thinking about all the people who have let me into their lives in the short time we have been members.
* Walking into our home, each and every time.
* Sitting in the snug with my husband, sharing space as we read or when we converse.
* Waking up from a good night's rest.
* Bumping into my sister and her friend at an antique show.
* Receiving a chatty email from a friend.
* Seeing a friend who has returned after spending the winter in a warmer climate.
* Chatting with our grandson about his many interests.
* Opening yet another absorbing book. 
* Welcoming my spiritual directees into sacred time. 

Soon, I hope, I can add seeing tulips emerge from the earth and bringing my lunch to the bistro table in the garden area we call Paris." Even thinking about such events feels BIG.

My list could go on and on. 

BIG is not so big anymore. BIG is more the result of opening my eyes and my ears and my heart. 

BIG means being present. 

An Invitation
What's on your BIG list these days? I would love to know. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted