Thursday, July 5, 2018

Summer Book Recommendation #1: Thursday's Reflection

Oh my goodness, yesterday was the 4th of July, and I have read only one book in my pile of intended reads. That doesn't mean I haven't been reading, however. Silly person, of course, I've been reading! 

The problem is that when books you've requested from the library are available, that's what you read. I'm returning the last of those books to the library today, and then I can return to my awaiting pile. Unless I get distracted by other possibilities!

Here's my First Summer Recommendation: A Place For Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza

I loved this debut novel, which is the story of Rafiq and Layla, originally from India, and their three children who are born in and grow up in the United States. Much of the story focuses on the son, Amar, who eventually estranges himself from his family. We see in heartrending detail Amar's relationship to each of the family members, along with the struggles of each person to "find their place in the world, as well as a path home."

I was especially intrigued by the glimpses of the Muslim faith and practices and each person's response to practicing that faith and being part of that community. It is not an overt part of the story, but still is a presence. The last few pages, told from the perspective of the father, Rafiq, were so moving (Yes, I cried.) for the truths they illustrate about the tests in a father-son relationship.

At one point the father says to his son, "Don't you know--that's the thing--everyone  is not just good. Everyone is trying to be good. And everyone feels this way sometimes, that they are not good, and not good at trying either." 

If I could loan you this book I would, but it is back at the library for the next person who requested it.

What else have I read this summer?
1. Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue. The story of a family from the Cameroons who immigrate to NYC. The father becomes a chauffeur for a wealthy family. I liked this book, but also felt it included everything but the kitchen sink.
2. Paris by the Book by Liam Callahan. I am a sucker for novels set in Paris and even better when a bookstore is involved. I really enjoyed this one.
3.  The Word Is Murder by Anthony Horowitz. Horowitz is the author of Magpie Murders, which I liked, but didn't love. I liked this one a bit more, but it has not stuck with me. Don't ask me the plot.
4.   Tell Me More. Stories about the 12 Hardest Things I'm Learning to Say by Kelly Corrigan (NF) The style is breezy, but the content is serious and wise. Included in the "hardest things" are "I don't know," "I was wrong," and "no words at all." Well done.
5. The Art of the Wasted Day by Patricia Hampl. (NF) I will read anything by Hampl and a new book from her moved to the top of the pile--no question! It is never a waste of time to read her words. 

              So it's not just about aging. But by the time you've
           worked long enough, hard enough, Real Life (which
           insists on being capitalized as if it were a personage
           with a proper name and a right to barge into this
           rental unit called your life) begins to reveal itself as
           something other than effort, other than accomplishment.
           Real Life wishes to be left to its own purposeless
           devices. (p. 24)

What's Next? Well, here is the problem. I returned recently from Chautauqua where there is a terrific bookstore and my piles of unread books have increased. Excuse me, while I move into the snug and decide which book is next. Happy reading!

An Invitation
What have you been reading this summer? I would love to know. 

NOTE: You can read my summer reading plans here and here.
           



5 comments:

  1. I just finished reaching Pachinko by Min Jin Lee, the story of four generations of a Korean immigrant family in Japan between about 1910 and the 1980's. Captivating and many-layered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading Pachinko by Min Jim Lee, the story of four generations of a Korean immigrant family living in Japan, set between about 1910 to the late 1980's. Captivating and many-layered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--captivating and many-layered. Well worth reading.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your recommendations. I've been reading Soul Survivor, How My Faith Survived the Church by Philip Yancey and I've just started The Wonder Years edited by Leslie Leyland Fields. I have a summer stack also. I pick up quite a few books at gatage sales or thrift stores. That way if they get sandy or wet it's ok. There's also a little used book store at our favorite vacation spot. They give $1 credit for every book you bring in. - Sylvis

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted