Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Overheard Conversations: Tuesday's Reflection

"This summer has been awful."

A woman and a man stood on a street corner outside of the small neighborhood grocery store. She was wearing a helmet and holding on to her bike. I couldn't tell her age, but she looked fit. Riding her bike was clearly something she did on a regular basis. He was about my age, I think, and I spotted a name badge on his shirt. Perhaps he worked at the grocery store.

I was taking my morning walk and heading towards home.

"The summer has been awful," the woman said.

He responded, but I only heard part of what he said. "Perhaps it will help take his mind off things."

"Thank you. I will tell him. That will mean a lot," she replied.

I confess I wanted to know who was having a bad summer and why was it awful? And I wondered how the man could help. What was their relationship? I will never know, but I sent a whispered, "May all be well."

Many years ago I sat in a MacDonalds where I overheard part of what seemed like a heavy conversation between a man and a woman. They leaned into each other, but not in a comforting way. I wondered if they had just been to see their marriage counselor or if MacDonald's was a neutral and safe place for them to meet and decide the next steps through their pain. I was reading a book, but I stopped and closed my eyes and whispered,"May all be well." Perhaps not that day, but soon. I have thought about them often over the years. Is it unreasonable to hope that my blessing created a fraction of light for them? 

Recently, I overheard part of a conversation between two people I know and love. I wasn't part of the conversation, and it was not appropriate for me to insert myself in the moment, but I carried my concern home with me. I sat with it during my prayer time and soon decided to reach out, simply offering to be a listening ear if needed or desired. My friend seemed grateful to know I am part of her caring circle. 


Sitting in a small cafe or coffee shop or standing in line at the grocery check out or in a doctor's waiting room, we are apt to hear bits and pieces of conversations, representing small particles of a person's life. The highs and lows or the mundane and the unremarkable. Sometimes there is a chance to interact, but most of the time, not. 

Am I a snoop when I open my ears to conversations floating in the air around me? 

I don't think so. Instead, when I receive even part of someone's story, however unconsciously or incompletely, I have a chance to silently extend a positive thought, a blessing. I have a chance to add a bit of love into the air we share. "May all be well."

An Invitation
What interesting parts of a conversation have you overheard recently? I would love to know. 




3 comments:

  1. What a lovely article. Thank you for the reminder and for your kind heart that makes me think a little bit more about how mine could be more so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria. We can all be a bit kinder, I think.

      Delete
  2. I don't think you're a snoop - I think you're very aware and compassionate to those around you. I am much the same (even though my son says I'm nosy). Just yesterday I was shopping at Walmart and had a wonderful conversation with the man in line in front of me and then with the cashier. When the man was leaving, he actually stuck his hand out to shake mine and said, "I'm Mike. It was a pleasure meeting you." I told him my name and that I enjoyed meeting him, too. The cashier and I chatted as she was ringing up my purchases (there was no one in line behind me) and we talked about how everyone has a story and that just by being pleasant, we never know if we can make someone's day. I've kept both her and Mike in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted