Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Leonardo Da Vinci: Tuesday's Post

The subject of a recent book club discussion was a massive 
biography, Leonardo Da Vinci by Walter Isaacson, who, you may recall, has written biographies of Steve Jobs, Benjamin Franklin, and Einstein. Major Men! 


Frankly, I wasn't looking forward to tackling this book. For one thing it is heavy, physically heavy, and not easy to prop up for bedtime reading. But it just looked like a textbook, and I had a stockpile of books I would rather read. I was pleasantly surprised, however, and found the book accessible and interesting and well-written. Da Vinci and the times he lived in are fascinating. 

When I read a biography or memoir what I look for beyond the facts is what the person can teach me about myself and the way I live. Da Vinci's life has lots to offer. 

At the end of the book Isaacson lists a wealth of lessons from Da Vinci's approach to life. For example,

*   Be curious, relentlessly curious. 
*   Seek knowledge for its own sake.
*   Retain a childlike sense of wonder.
*   Observe. This was Leonardo's greatest skill and fed his curiosity.
*   Go down rabbit holes.
*   Get distracted.
*   Respect facts.
*   Procrastinate.  Leonardo felt "creativity requires time for ideas to marinate and ideas to gel."
*   Let your reach exceed your grasp.
*   Indulge fantasy.
*   Collaborate.
*   Make lists.  My personal favorite!!!! At least I have one thing in common with him. His lists were not just everyday lists, however. Go to the market. Buy tomatoes and bread. Or complete The Lord's Supper by Monday. No, he listed in his notebooks odd things, interesting things he observed and wanted to know more about. 
*   Be open to mystery. "Not everything needs sharp lines."

What a list! What these items primarily have in common, it seems to me, is a sense of play and a desire to stay awake and engaged. What would happen if we encouraged our children, our grandchildren to live this way? What would happen if we chose to cultivate that approach to life ourselves?

In the spirit of play, I ordered a cake for our book group meeting and the cake was decorated with a picture of the Mona Lisa. Fun and tasty, and I think Leonardo would have approved. 

An Invitation
Which of the items on the list will you adopt? I would love to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted