Monday, April 30, 2018

Labyrinth: Tuesday's Reflection

The last two Sunday mornings I have introduced the labyrinth to Sunday School children--4th graders one week and 2nd graders the next. I introduced the labyrinth as a way to feel, know, and open to the presence of God and as a reminder that God is with us every step of our journey. 

First, however, I asked them if they had ever walked a maze. And everyone had. They eagerly shared experiences of getting stuck, taking a wrong turn, and needing to back up and start again. One child said she got scared and wondered if she would ever get out of the maze. How many times have we experienced that same panicky, lost feeling? 

Then I explained the difference between a maze and a labyrinth. In a labyrinth there is only one way in and once you reach the center, you follow the same path out only in reverse. And then it was time for them to experience a labyrinth. I asked them to remove their shoes, and then we played follow the leader and a version of musical chairs--more like a stop and go game. They were surprised by all the twists and turns of the labyrinth and how long it took to get to the center, but no one got lost. 

Finally, it was time for them to walk the labyrinth as a walking meditation. I reminded them to be silent as they walked and to try to walk slowly, slower than they normally walk. That was hard for many of them, especially the 2nd graders. That may be hard for you, too. 

But here's what they said when we talked about what they experienced. "Calm." "Peace." One 4th grader said, "I liked the quiet. I got to think about things and I can't do that in my house." A 2nd grader said something similar. I don't know their situations, but I know for many of us feeling calm and peaceful is rare. And, of course, I wondered how many young people need more of that in their lives. Many, I suspect.  

Here's what I noticed. Both mornings, most of the children finished walking the labyrinth fairly quickly. I asked them to sit quietly along the side of the labyrinth while a couple remaining children finished walking. I expected that to be a challenge for them, but instead, they were not only respectful of the last walkers, but they seemed to absorb and radiate more calm. The energy in the room changed, and they realized it. 

For many of the children this Sunday morning experience may be a one time thing, but perhaps for some this will lead them to walking the labyrinth as a spiritual practice in the future and will be a reminder that we are not alone. God is with us on every step of our journey. 


An Invitation
Have you walked a labyrinth? What did you experience? I would love to know.

NOTE: Saturday, May 5 is World Labyrinth Day. To find out about labyrinth opportunities in your area check here.
If you live in Minneapolis-St Paul, Wisdom Ways is offering a tour of labyrinths in the area. Check here for information. 


2 comments:

  1. I love that you taught these children about walking the labyrinth and got to witness how they felt afterwards. There is a church with a beautiful rock labyrinth in back of it, overlooking a beautiful, open piece of land about 10 min from my house. Sometimes if I'm traveling in that direction, I stop at the church and walk this labyrinth. It definitely is a walking meditation. I talk to God while I walk it. I've even cried a couple of times. But I do feel more calm when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to have such easy access to a labyrinth. Blessed walking!

      Delete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted