Thursday, April 26, 2018

Celebrate: Tuesday's Reflection

I love celebrating birthdays and anniversaries and Christmas and the last day of school or work and a clean bill of health, but there are also other minor holidays and events to celebrate. 

How about doing a little dance after cleaning your closet or getting your teeth cleaned or the oil changed in the car? Or why not jump for joy when you find everything you need at the grocery store or a book you requested at the library is waiting for you? And at least smile when you remember to move the recycling bin to the alley before you hear the truck rumbling your way.

I'm a big believer in honoring the ordinary.

Here in Minnesota where winter has lingered a long time, I think we need to declare a holiday for the first day we open a window in the spring or keep the front door open. I did that just a few days ago, and the house is now full of fresh air and sunshine. 

I love hearing the sounds of children playing outside again and when I go for a walk, which I can now do without fearing a fall on the ice, I enjoy seeing the first chalk drawings on the sidewalk. And the birds! Well, they are celebrating, too. I haven't spotted any crocus or tulips in our neighborhood yet, but maybe I haven't looked in the right places yet. I know they are there. 

Rejoice, my heart keeps saying. Celebrate, for this is good news! 

Trust me, I am not a Pollyanna. I have not forgotten about all the terrible situations in the world. The sadness and injustice and pain and fear and anger, but I am learning how to hold those challenges in my heart, along with the ordinary reasons to feel delight. 

So today I celebrate our grandson coming to our house after school and spacious morning meditation time and the inspiration from my writing group and the good work the committee I chair at church is doing and a glass of cold water when I return from my walk and the fresh white blouse I put on this morning and....

                 Do we really need much more than this?
                 To honor the dawn. To visit a garden. To talk
                 to a friend. To contemplate a cloud. To cherish
                 a meal. To bow our heads before the mystery
                 of the day. Are these not enough? 
                                        Kent Nerburn

An Invitation
What can you celebrate today? I would love to know. 

8 comments:

  1. I like this and like you, was joyous when I could open my windows on Tuesday. On my way to the UW this morning, I saw blooming daffodils!! My heart was lifted - spring IS really going to come to the mid-West. I'm driving south to Illinois this week-end - bet I find more to celebrate then too. Thank you for the reminder and encouragement to do just that, Nancy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This morning I was thinking the same thing, again, as I walked through my clean clean clean sparkling clean laundry room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much celebrating in England with a new prince. They say they are going to name him today. Has me thinking about names. I can celebrate that I am called by His name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, hos important names are --and to be called by name.

      Delete
  4. Honoring the ordinary...I love that. I have my front door open once again to let in the sunshine (the beam across my living room floor is glorious - and the cats think so, too!) and fresh air. I hear the birds singing...it's such a lovely way to start the morning.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted