Tuesday, January 16, 2018

One More Comment on Last Week's Foul Language: Tuesday's Reflection

I have needed a dose of Obama these last few days.

One of my favorite Christmas presents this year was the coffee table book of photographs of Obama during his presidency. Soon after Christmas I sat in the snug and paged slowly through the book, marveling at his humanity, his handsomeness, his honorable outlook and presence. He wasn't perfect, of course, but I felt proud to have him as our leader. 

Pride in our national leaders is not what I have been feeling lately.

Obviously, I am appalled at our president's language. Is it just me or is the president becoming more self-assured about using such overtly racist language because he knows certain factions will explain, will justify, will shrug their shoulders and say something like "He just says what most Americans think." Really????

Is he becoming more comfortable showing his true colors because he knows he won't be challenged in the moment and because he knows many others in position of power and responsibility will turn off their hearing aids and pretend they didn't hear or don't recall what was said?

I am grateful Senator Richard Durbin (D-Ill) reported to the press  what the president said during a meeting about immigration, and I am grateful to those Republicans who decry what he said, but I want to know how the people in the room reacted the moment the words were uttered.

Philip Kennicott, the art and architecture critic for The Washington Post calls this the "dinner table test," and asks the question what do you do when bigotry is so clearly revealed? Did anybody interrupt and say, "I can't listen to this and either you apologize immediately or I am leaving." ? Did anyone say, "I'm out of here." Did anyone dare to call him on what he said immediately after he said it?

These are times that require courage and integrity. Sometimes it is good to pause in the moment and ask yourself, what is it that needs to be said? What is it I need to do? But sometimes the pause stretches beyond the teachable moment, the moment of authenticity, the moment that could have been better served by a knee jerk reaction. The moment when you feel your chest tighten, your eyes blink, and your jaw drop open. 

When we ground ourselves in the dignity and equality of all people, and if we remember we are all beloved by God, and if we commit ourselves to live as the people God created us to be, we are better able to respond in the moment and to say, "No, that is not right. No, I will not accept what you are saying and what you are doing."  

I know there are times in my life when I have not responded with courage at the moment it was most needed.  Other times, however,   I have listened to my pounding heart and said or done something that needed action right then. I want to be more of that kind of person, and I want our leaders to be that way, too. 

An Invitation
Where have you lived with courage lately? I would love to know.

You can read Philip Kenicott's essay here.

4 comments:

  1. Just discovered your blog through your article in this issue of Bella Grace. I will be a faithful follower now. I so agree with your feelings in this post. We have become inured to the words of our so called leader. Well not all of us; they grate on my nerves like sharp splinters. It’s time for weak men and women to get strong and stand up and speak out. All of us, especially those in Congress. Thank you for your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thank you for your words, as well. I am grateful for your presence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't agree more with what you wrote!

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted