Thursday, January 25, 2018

New Year's Thoughts: Thursday's Reflection

The other day I watched Anne Lamott on a Ted Talk. As always, she was quirky and amusing and wise. Her topic was what she has learned now that she is no longer 47, the age she still imagines herself to be. She is 61, by the way. This is a whole other topic, but what is your "imaginary age"? Mine is somewhere in the 50's, but it doesn't take more than a glance in the mirror to bring me back to reality.

Back to Anne Lamott. She listed things like "All truth is paradox," and "Almost everything will work again if you unplug and restart it, including you." 

One of her truths was about food. "Try to do a little better." I like that approach and since the New Year I have been trying to eat a little better, cook a little better, and to spend more time in the produce department when I grocery shop. 

I haven't made a big sweeping New Year's Resolution to lose x pounds and get into shape. Been there, done that. Instead, my intention is to try to do a little better, and I feel good about that.

It occurs to me that trying to do a little better is a good idea in other areas of life, too. What are the "shoulds" in your life? Do you ever think...

I should go to bed earlier.
I should spend less time on social media.
I should read more and watch less tv.
I should volunteer more in my community and church.
I should entertain more.
I should spend more time with aging parents.
I should get rid of all the clutter in my house.
I should finally start writing the book I say I want to write.
I should organize all my photographs.
I should plan my memorial service. 
I should be a better listener. 

Do any of these fit? What have I missed? 
Well, what would happen if you simply and gently tried to do a little better? I think you might be surprised.

An Invitation
What are the ways you are trying to do a little better? I would love to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted