Thursday, January 4, 2018

Happy New Year!: Thursday's Reflection

Happy New Year!


How have you entered 2018? 

Did you enter with all alarms sounding and a long list of January tasks?

In the past, especially in the years before we became empty nesters, I charged into the new year, armed with a new calendar and a notebook with a long TO DO list and goals for the year. And, of course, the resolutions repeated year after year. Lose weight. Exercise more. Eat healthier. 

I was determined to clean every closet and dust every bookshelf, and reorganize every drawer during the month of January. I read all the women's and home decor magazines, eager to glean new tips and hints for living a simpler and yet more gracious life. 

My lists weren't just about cleaning, but I had lists about events to plan and people to see and classes to take. And, of course, topics for potential books and articles.

I am by nature an organized and fairly energetic person and therefore, didn't feel daunted by the length and breadth of my lists, but I didn't leave lots of room for spontaneity or whim. Or relaxation and contemplation (outside of my daily journal writing, of course). 

In recent years I have tried to approach the new year in a different way. More as a continuation of the previous year. 

Yes, putting away the Christmas decorations leads to more extensive cleaning than weekly maintenance. Yes, I think about what worked well for me in the past year (and what didn't), but I also think about what ongoing practices are crucial to my well-being and my spiritual development. Such as my morning meditation time and my active involvement at our church. And my connection to family and friends. And nurturing my love of both writing and reading. None of those items require a To Do list. They are part of my true self. 

Three More Thoughts
1.     In the Foreword to Pilgrimage of a Soul, Contemplative Spirituality for the Active Life by Phileena Heuertz, Phyllis Tickle urges the reader to "enter gently." I love that phrase and feel its call as I enter the new year. I often advise others to be "gentle with yourself," when challenges seem to overwhelm. I can benefit from my own advice.  

2.      Each year I listen for a word to guide me in the coming year. Last year "Sacred Yes, Sacred No" was a guiding light, and I know that needs to be an ongoing mantra for me, but I am adding the word "devotion." This is a time when I need and want to devote myself more--on a deeper, more consistent level--to the writing and revising of my spiritual memoir. But this word applies to other areas of my life, too. In fact, it calls me to open to all life with an attitude of devotion and gratitude and faithfulness.

3.      I consulted The Joy of Ritual by Barbara Bizou when I started planning an open labyrinth day (Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, St Paul, Tuesday, January 9, 1:00-6:00. All are welcome.) and read how the first twelve days of the year can represent the twelve months of the new year.  Approaching these first days in this way  "provides an amazing chance to think about how you want your upcoming year to go. By practicing loving kindness, openness, and generosity, while giving thoughtful attention to the significance of each day, you will consecrate the coming year." 

The year is young, but already I feel renewed hope and an outlook for new growth and healing. 

An Invitation
How have you entered the new year and how do you intend to move through the coming days? I would love to know.  


4 comments:

  1. I love having 12 days to frame the year. Each day I reviewed how I wanted to "be" in the new year, adding and refining but still at the end of the day critical that already I wasn't on the "right" path of 2018. But given 12 days and it is only day 5, I am obviously already committed to making it a joyous year. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning so much about what is important to me as I move through these 12 days. May each day be one of joy, joy, joy for you.

      Delete
  2. I am a new reader of your blog (found you through Bella Grace) and enjoy your thoughts. I especially like the idea of entering gently into the New Year. In years past, I have generally set too many unrealistic goals. As I age and soften, my soul longs more and more for gentleness and self-nurture. Also, as someone who turned a corner after which my lifelong Christian faith no longer made sense, your blog is a small step toward a renewed investigation in what my version of faith in this season of life might look like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome! Thanks for reading both Bella Grace and now this blog. I am so glad the idea of entering the new year in a gently way resonates with you, and I hope you find sustenance and perhaps even gentle guidance on your new path. Light Blessings.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted