Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The Loss of a Pet: Tuesday's Reflection

 Some days are just sad.  

True, there are reasons to be sad most days. The news of deaths in Somalia and ongoing losses in Puerto Rico and California and everywhere where there is suffering from natural disasters or manmade violence makes us sad. 
Other things make us sad, too. Disappointments in our work or at school. Regrets about what we now realize we could have done, perhaps should have done. 

But today in our family we are sad because Ralph, who belonged to our daughter and her family, has come to the end of his life. He was a rescue dog, about fifteen years old, and was a gentle companion with a sweet nature. Everyone in the neighborhood knew Ralph because his favorite spot was the front yard where he received pats and rubs from many who passed by. None of us were ready for this loss, but I suspect Ralph was. 

And so the family said a reluctant good bye, and now is a time to be sad. 

Marianne Williamson in her book Everyday Grace, Having Hope, Finding Forgiveness, and Making Miracles retells an old Buddhist story about a monk who cried at his master's grave.  He was asked why he was crying. Wasn't he enlightened? He responded, "Because I am sad." 

In order to transcend our grief, we need to feel it. "No situation can be transformed until it is accepted as it is." 

But some days it is too early to see glimpses of what we are to learn from our sadness, even if it is the gift of becoming more compassionate to others in their grief. Some days are just sad. Some days we are just meant to be sad. 

An Invitation
What has made you sad recently? Did you allow yourself to be sad? I would love to know. 







2 comments:

  1. A man, an old friend of mine died recently. He had taken to alcohol a couple years ago after nearly 60 years of living healthy. A horrible depression had gripped him. After I learned this, I realized I had been deeply in love with him all along, even during the time I did not see him.. A friend of mine posted pictures of us together years ago. I allowed myself to be sad. I still do. I changed some of my digital passwords to "I love you" because I never expressed it to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a moving story. I am sorry for your loss, and how wise of you to acknowledge the sadness you hold.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted