Thursday, October 19, 2017

Fall in all its Glory: Thursday's Reflection

I love working in my garret space, and most days this is just where I want to be. My only view, however, is our garage roof, and some days I just need more atmosphere. Some days I need to know what it is like outside. Some days I need to leave the isolation and quiet of my comfortable space and get out!

"Let's go to the arboretum," I suggested.


I packed up some writing work and off we went to the Minnesota Arboretum. Needless to say, we weren't the only ones with that idea, for it was an iconic October day. Carloads of people in the Third Chapter of life had the same idea, along with mothers of children not yet old enough for school. Strollers and walkers!

We were all there to breathe the fall air and catch a glimpse of leaves drifting from one reality to another. We oohed and aahed at the colors, still lush, not yet fading.


Can you spot the human pumpkin?
And the pumpkins and squash! All the creative displays made me think I have not done nearly enough fall decorating at our house. 

I unpacked my writing materials by a window in the dining room that looked out onto a patio and after an early lunch, I tackled a current project. Used to working alone in the garret, I wondered if I would be distracted by all the people chatting around me or if the view would demand all my attention. But, instead, I eased into the surroundings. I felt renewed and more alive to the beauty around me. 

I am back in the garret, as I write this, and I am happy to be here, but my arboretum time reminded me that routine can easily become a rut. If I choose, I can discover all sorts of places that amaze and delight; places where I can even work. 

Sometimes a bit of a change is all we need. 

      "I'm so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers."
                                                     L.M. Montgomery



Minnesota Arboretum

No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted