Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Simple Solution: Tuesday's Reflection

Days working at my desk had become uncomfortable. My back ached. My legs ached. Even my feet throbbed. 

What was going on? I wasn't spending more time than usual at my desk, but being there had become a painful experience. I got up and stretched and walked around frequently. I added a pillow for my back and even sat on an additional cushion. Nope, that didn't make a difference. 

I was beginning to worry I had a pinched nerve or worse. So many people in my age category are having knee or hip or back surgery, and I began to spin in my mind a spider web of thoughts about coping with physical issues. 

"Get a grip, Nancy," I told myself. 

I had a mini aha moment and tried another chair. One not quite so attractive as my antique wood chair with wide arms. A chair appropriate for the head of a dining room table. The trial chair was a simple folding chair, light weight, no arms, and, amazingly, that felt better. Not quite right, however. (I was beginning to feel like Goldilocks.)

Without going into too much detail about my desk arrangement, you need to know that my desk surface is not very big and I compensate for that with a small lightweight adjustable table perpendicular to my desk. My laptop is on that table, which means I twist back and forth between the two surfaces. 




Ah, I need a swivel chair on wheels. Off I went to Ikea and test drove a number of chairs, bought one, and voila, no more pain, no more aches. Now I move easily from side to side and even across the floor to the nearby bookshelf. 

The solution was simple, once I opened my mind to finding a solution. Once I decided to move away from fear of what might be the problem. Once I decided to actually do something about the issue. 

I wonder how often we stay stuck in a problem due to fear or perhaps a lack of imagination. I wonder how often we prefer the status quo, even when it is uncomfortable, because it is at least something we know. I wonder what it is that finally forces us to get a grip and open to a simple solution.

I thought about other times I have remained far too long in a situation that no longer was healthy or positive or realistic. I thought about times when I have not felt the movement of God in my life. What did I do then? 

I sat in silence.
I took a walk.
I asked for help.
I listened to my inner voice.
I wrote in my journal.
I prayed.
I tried to be gentle with myself.
I moved from fear to love. 

In this case, the solution was not rocket science and didn't take much trial and error to solve the problem. Certainly, that is not always the case, but the invitation to view something with new eyes is always possible. 

An Invitation
Is there something in your life right now that invites you to change, to find a simple or at least a new solution? I would love to know. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted