Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Be Still and Know That I am God.

On Saturdays this month of December my husband 
and I have left our urban home and driven to small towns and on country roads, taking a different direction each week. The change of scenery, the change of pace, has been life-giving for us. 

Unlike the days of moving methodically to complete various Christmas tasks, the day has no agenda, no specific destination. We roam. We talk some, but not lots, and are content with each other's presence.

I know I need the spaciousness of the harvested fields, of the expanse where sky meets land somewhere in the distance. I need the simplicity of the farmhouses and the faded red of the barns. The leafless branches sugared with snow and the fields lightly powdered in white against the unbroken grey sky. It was a one hawk, one eagle day. Few cars. Fewer people, except for the two farmers we saw urging a calf, who had broken free, back where she belonged. 

I suppose we could have turned on the radio to Christmas music, but  silence was enough. I replayed the chants from the Wednesday night Advent service in my head, even humming just a bit. I smiled seeing Christmas decorations on front lawns--some more tasteful than others, in my judging mind, but all reminders of the love we have for this time of year. 

"Ok, to head home?" my husband asks, and yes, I am ready. The drive has fulfilled its purpose. I feel balanced and calm once again.

I feel ready to meet my promise to myself: To enter the coming days in stillness, with silence. To create a sanctuary in my heart, big enough for all who need it. 

I whisper to myself one of my favorite lines from scripture, Psalm 46: 10.

            Be still and know that I am God. 

And I move deeper into that calm and peace.

            Be still and know that I am God.
            Be still and know that I am.
            Be still and know.
            Be still.
            Be.
            Be still.
            Be still and know.
            Be still and know that I am.
            Be still and know that I am God.
            Amen.

An Invitation
What do you need for the coming days? I would love to know. 


        

 




2 comments:

  1. I have been feeling more aimless the closer we get to Christmas day. Today’s beautiful post gave me some ideas. In spite of the gray drizzly weather we have had for days a drive with Ralph maybe just what is needed to help me find a peaceful way forward. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend it. Bruce and I have reminisced about all the beautiful drives we took during our Ohio days. Why not drive past Sweetwater Farm!! Send a greeting from us, if you do that. Peace, dear friend.

      Delete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted