Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Favorite Books of 2018: Tuesday's Reflection

It's that time of year. The time of year when lists of "favorites" for the year are posted, and today it is my turn to shine a light on my favorite books of the year. 

I have read 98 books so far this year (58, fiction and 40, nonfiction), and I assume by the time the cheering begins for 2019, I will have read two more for an even 100. Oh, and I am actually saving the new Louise Penny mystery for the transition days from Christmas to New Years. Anyway, here goes.

Fiction
My top favorites are:
* Two Meg Wolitzer titles--The Wife and The Female Persuasion. The movie The Wife with Glenn Close is based on the Wolitzer book. I liked both very much. 
* An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
* Death Comes to the Archbishop by Willa Cather (2nd time)
* There, There by Tommy Orange

Other Fiction Favorites in no particular order:
* Idaho by Emily Ruskovich
* The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
* Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (for the second time)
* The Odd Woman by Gail Godwin
* The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott
* The One in a Million Boy by Monica Wood
* The Nightengale by Kristin Hannah
* To Die But Once by Jacqueline Winspear
* Pachinko by Min Jin Lee
* The Resurrection of Joan Ashby by Cherise Wolas
* The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain
* Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
* Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue
* Paris by the Book by Liam Callahan
* A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza
* Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
* The first 5 in the mystery series by Julia Spencer-Fleming. 3more to go. 
* Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan
* The Map of Salt and Stars by Jennifer Zeynab Joukhadar
* Warlight by Michael Ondaatje
* Dear Mrs Bird by A.J. Pearce
* Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie
* Women in Sunlight by Frances Mayes

Nonfiction
In this list I normally separate books of a spiritual nature from other nonfiction, but this year several of my favorites are not so easy to classify. Thus, an integrated list. 
My top favorites are:
* Becoming by Michelle Obama. This may be my favorite nonfiction book of 2018. Read it!!!
* Parting the Waters, America in the King Years, 1954-1963 by Taylor Branch. An investment book, for it is long and detailed, but fascinating and so well-written. Now it is on to volume 2!
* Almost Everything, Notes on Hope by Anne Lamott
* The Art of the Wasted Day by Patricia Hampl
* Living an Examined Life, Wisdom for the Second Half of the Journey by James Hollis
* Grateful, The Transformative Power of Giving Thanks by Diana Butler Bass
* On the Brink of Everything, Grace, Gravity and Getting Older by Parker Palmer

Other Nonfiction Favorites in no particular order:
* She Read To Us In The Late Afternoons, A Life in Novels by Kathleen Hill
* Pilgrimage of a Soul, Contemplative Spirituality for the Active Life by Phileena Heurtz
* Dying, A Memoir by Cory Taylor 
* Turning to One Another, Simple Conversations to Restore Hope for the Future by Margaret Wheatley
* The Heart of Centering Prayer, Nondual Christianity in Theory and Practice by Cynthia Bourgeault
* Everything Happens for a Reason And Other Lies I've Loved by Kate Bowler
* The Wisdom of the Body, A Contemplative Journey to Wholeness for Women by Christine Valters Paintner
* The Butterfly Hours, Transforming Memories into Memoir by Patty Dann
* The Breath of the Soul, Reflections on Prayer by Joan Chittister
* The Art of Spiritual Writing  and The Soul Tells a Story, Engaging Creativity with Spirituality in the Writing Life. Both titles are by Vinita Hampton Wright
* The Way of Silence, Engaging the Sacred in Daily Life by David Steindl-Rast
* Educated, A Memoir by Tara Westover
* The Great Spiritual Migration, How the World's Largest Religion is Seeking a Better Way to be Christian by Brian McLaren
* Tell Me More, Stories about the 12 Hardest Things I'm Learning to Say by Kelly Corrigan
* The Bright Hour, A Memoir of Living and Dying by Nina Riggs
* The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning, How to Free Yourself and Your Family From a Lifetime of Clutter by Margareta Magnusson
* No Time to Spare, Thinking About What Matters by Ursula Le Guin
* The End of Old Age, Living a Longer, More Purposeful Life by Marc Agronin
* I'd Rather Be Reading, The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life by Anne Bogel
* Let the Whole Thundering World Come Home, A Memoir by Natalie Goldberg
* Celtic Treasure, Daily Scriptures and Prayer by J. Philip Newell (the 2nd time)
* Bittersweet, Thoughts on Change, Grace, and learning the Hard Way by Shauna Niequist. 

Well, that should keep you going!

At this time of the year I think about my reading plans for the coming year as well. I will refrain from saying reading GOALS, for I know one book leads to another, and I am more than willing to take detours and discover surprises along the way. But here are some thoughts:
* I've noticed I don't remember the content of a book I've read--even when I have truly enjoyed and appreciated it--the way I have in the past. Therefore, I am going to try and jot a few summary notes about each book I read along with listing the title and author. 
* I have used the library much more this year than in the past. It is such a nerdy rush when an email arrives in my Inbox, saying a book I have requested has arrived. However, that does mean that other books in my stack are placed on a personal hold, so I can meet the library's due date. 
* I intend to read the remaining three Willa Cather titles. 
* Since our return from the civil rights tour we took in November, we have been building a library of books on that topic. I think the one I will read next is The Warmth of Other Suns, The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson.
* I am aware of how many books are sitting in piles or on shelves in our house that I have not yet read, my To Be Read (TBR) piles. Tempted by new titles, I am like a crow attracted to the shining object next to the sidewalk. I make no apology for my book addiction, but this year I hope to focus more on my TBR piles.  

What am I reading right now? As I ride the exercycle I am reading My Life With Bob, Flawed Heroine Keeps Book of Books (Bob), Plot Ensues by Pamela Paul. I just started reading a book from the library, Kate Morton's The Clockmaker's Daughter, which feels like the perfect light book to read as the clock ticks toward Christmas. And during my meditation time I am rereading Holiness and The Feminine Spirit, The Art of Janet McKenzie, edited by Susan Perry plus chapters about Mary in a variety of other books. 

I thank Anne Bogel for the following words; words that could be on my tombstone. 

        "Reading isn't just a hobby or a pastime; 
        it's a lifestyle." 

Yes.

An Invitation
I would love to know your favorites of 2018. 

NOTE: I will post again on Thursday, December 20, but then I am going to take a break for a couple weeks. I plan to return on Tuesday, January 8. 





9 comments:

  1. Newly retired....want to read more....when do you read? What is your favorite reading position to avoid those aches and pains from sitting too much? Do you read on an ereader on do you prefer books? Thanks to all for your input!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have specific reading times, although during my morning prayer/meditation time I do usually read a book of a spiritual nature. I read when I have lunch. I read on the exercycle before I take a shower. I try to leave my desk before fixing dinner in the evening and move into the snug to read for an hour or so. We watch something on Netflix or Acorn in the evening usually, but then I read more either in the snug or then again in bed. I never go anywhere without a book, just in case there is time. In other words, I am always looking for times when I can read. Bruce reads a ton, too, especially now that he is retired. Neither of us read on an ereader--still prefer books in my hands, but if I traveled more I would probably get an ereader. I prefer to read with my legs stretched out in front of me on a cushion. How exciting that you have more time to do whatever you want to do!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put the Widows of Malabar Hill, by Sujata Massey on your list. I'm saving the last chapters because I don't want it over! I'm number 59 at the library for Clockmaker's Daughter. They have 17 copies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have put Widows of Malabar Hill on my list. I read it and really liked it, too.

      Delete
  4. P.S. Phoebe, Lillian, Fiona, Kay and I all became engrossed in My Dear Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Nancy - this is quite a list! I am going to check out the titles of the ones that interest me on amazon, so I can read the summaries and reviews. I just posted my favorites of 2018, too on my blog (www.comfyhouse.blogspot.com), but there's just a few that I listed. Otherwise, you can follow me on Goodreads if you so desire. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to know about your blog and have just subscribed. I enjoyed your book suggestions, too, and now am eager for a snowy day (after Christmas, I hope) when I can curl up and revisit the Susan Branch books.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted