Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Paying Attention to the Signs in Front of Us

 

While driving along Minnehaha Parkway, I was surprised by a red-tailed hawk as it flew from one side of the road to the other, low and right in front of my Jeep. I wish I had been able to follow his sky path on that cold day, but I was at least grateful for the brief moment of lift. 

According to Jamie Sams and David Carson, creators of Medicine Cards The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals, hawks are messengers, teaching us to be observant, to see the bigger picture, and how to discern and follow our personal vision. 

I first became aware of hawks when we lived at Sweetwater Farm. An albino red-tailed hawk was a frequent visitor--sometimes sitting in the willow tree or soaring over the pond where the Great Blue Heron came to rest in the morning. When I walked out the back door, I automatically scanned the horizon looking for its presence, and when I spotted it, I felt blessed. Blessed, but also reminded to pay attention, to remember "You are only as powerful as your capacity to perceive, receive, and use your abilities." 

During our Ohio years I was always on the look out for the familiar football shape of hawks as they sat on telephone poles or bare branches of winter trees. Once, during the two years when I made monthly six hour trips to my spiritual direction training in Pennsylvania, I felt accompanied by a succession of hawks, for every few miles I noticed another one. One after another. That was a challenging time in my life for a variety of reasons, and I was reassured by the guidance of hawks along the way. Their message to me seemed to be, "Stay the course." 

Here in St Paul I don't see hawks too often, and in fact, am more likely to see eagles, which is certainly a gift, but somehow they don't seem quite so personal. 

So what was the message of this particular hawk that crossed in front of my Jeep? 

I can't be sure, but I think this hawk was a reminder that companions on our journeys are always available, and sometimes they are right in front of us. So wake up! 

Here's something more. Hawk flew in front of me on Wednesday, but it was only days later that I gave it much thought. Part of my process in writing posts for this blog is to do a kind of examen of the days since my last post. What has impressed me or moved me, made me think deeper? What has touched me? What is still with me, even days later? 

Hawk. 

More than likely you, too, are gifted with signs, with messages, with nudges as you move through your days, but they only become wisdom or opportunities for spiritual growth when you take time for reflection.

Sit quietly, close your eyes lightly, not tightly, and rest in the passing of recent days. Who or what has been your hawk? What wants to be remembered? What lives in you still? What surprised you? What is the message and how will you respond? 

Pay attention. Stay awake.


An Invitation
What has flown in front of you lately? I would love to know. 

Some Recommendations from the Last Week
1.    Sunday Prayers, The Lord's Prayer--Nadia Bolz Weber's version. https://nadiabolzweber.substack.com
2.     Richard Rohr's summary of spiritual development https://cac.org/spiritual-development-2020-10-25/
3.      The Covid Cello Project playing Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings https://youtu.be/0ly61HpQ3mU
4.      "We Shall Overcome" sung by the Aeolian Choir at Oakwood University https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBtmPiCgToI





No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted