Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Alleluia: Tuesday's Reflection

In Ohio there is a saying, "Three snowfalls on the daffodils before it is spring." Well, I think the snow we received on Easter Sunday in Minnesota qualifies as all three.

If ever there were a time when we needed to shout, "Christ is Risen. Alleluia," it is NOW. 

Snow and a pandemic! 

First thing Sunday morning our daughter delivered the communion bread our granddaughter Maren made, using our church's recipe, and along with the bread, she left the ingredients for mimosas. I say, with great self-righteousness, we did NOT start imbibing until after our online church service.

Later the whole family, including the dog, brought us Easter dinner. We stood at the front door and our loved ones remained at the bottom of the stairs as we chatted. Briefly, for remember it was SNOWING. Dinner was delicious, but I admit I felt a bit like a first-time Meals on Wheels recipient. 














In preparation for our family ZOOM meeting that evening I asked everyone to think about something they had seen or heard in recent days that was beautiful or funny or unique. I know that is such a GrandNan idea, like Thanksgiving when we all are forced to share what we are are most grateful for. Too bad! 

Everyone had a turn.

Bruce told about Saturday evening when a young man stood on the corner near our house and played his saxophone-- a wonderful free concert. He said he just wanted people to come out of their houses, and that's what happened. How good it was to see so many neighbors. We learned we have a new baby on the block, and our next door neighbor, whose house is too big for her now that she lives alone, has found a condo that will meet her needs. 



I described a woman who was biking not far from my Dad's apartment. On the back of her bicycle was a basket and perched on the bicycle was a parrot! Yes, a parrot, who was enjoying the afternoon cruise. I think that qualifies as unique, don't you? Also, unique, and a bit macabre were the two bald eagles, one with the "Easter Bunny" in its mouth, Mike had seen. 

Maren loved all the teddy bears she saw in windows, a teddy bear scavenger hunt, when she went on a walk, and Peter, who has been biking far and wide, reported on sidewalk chalk art.  Kate was so pleased with the visit from Mike's brother and his family who brought them a jigsaw puzzle -- a portrait of the whole family. "They stood outside the house like Christmas carolers."

Geof mentioned the turkey, all feathers unfurled, he saw and also the beauty of small flowers growing in the cracks of a sidewalk. Cricket, laughed as she told about their two godchildren who were on the verge of WWIII right outside her window, as she was about to start a very important ZOOM conference for her work. 

How fun to get these glimpses into everyone's life--glimpses that are stress-free and more about gifts than losses. One of the things I have been trying to do recently is to note something I want to remember about each day. Something unexpected. A gift. A lift. An Alleluia. 

But this is a difficult time, and I need reminders. 

Sunday after attending our online church service, I printed the day's offering from Praying in Color and after coloring it with my markers, I hung it in the garret window looking out to our backyard. Now every time when I sit at my desk, I don't just see the snow on the garage roof, but I see "Alleluia." In fact, I see "Alleluia," first. 

Christ is risen. Alleluia. 

An Invitation
What do you most want to remember about today? I would love to know. 











No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted