Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Pregnant at an Old Age: Tuesday's Reflection

Elizabeth.











Elizabeth, an older woman, was Zechariah's wife.

          Both of them were righteous before God,
          living blamelessly according to all the 
          commandments and regulations of the Lord.
          But they had no children, because Elizabeth
          was barren, and both were getting on in years.
                                              Luke 1: 6-7

Elizabeth, surprise, but according to the angel Gabriel's announcement to Zechariah, conceived

            ...and for five months she remained in 
            seclusion. She said, "This is what the Lord has
            done for me when he looks favorably on me...
                                               Luke 1: 24-25

Mary travels to be with the older woman, and it is Elizabeth who senses, for Mary is early in her pregnancy, that Mary is, also, in fact, pregnant. Elizabeth bestows a loving blessing on Mary.

               Blessed are you among women, and
               blessed is the fruit of your womb...
               And blessed is she who believed that there
               would be a fulfillment of what was spoken 
               to her by the Lord.
                                                  Luke 1: 42, 45

Last year during Advent I sat with Mary. I wondered and prayed about what it means to be "the bearer of God." I amazed at her surrender, her acceptance to "let it be so." This year I have been sitting with Elizabeth, Mary's cousin, and have wondered what it  means to be pregnant late in life. No doubt, Elizabeth had far less energy than Mary. Mary's younger body could respond to the physical requirements of carrying a child, both before and after birth, far easier than Elizabeth could. Mary was no doubt concerned about the social stigma of being pregnant. "How can this be, since I am a virgin?" Elizabeth perhaps was concerned about her own safety and the safety and health of the child she carried at such a late stage in her life. 

One woman had youth on her side, and the other had wisdom.

Both were the centers of mysterious and miraculous stories.  And both were chosen. 

The story of Elizabeth invites me to think about what I might nurture and bring to life at this stage of my life. I often feel bursting with ideas--plans for classes to teach or talks to give, essays to write, and thoughts for chapters in my spiritual memoir. I hold my spiritual direction clients with me, much as a mother holds an infant, as I move through my days, and I pray for enough energy to nurture and care for all my relationships. Somedays, however, "enough" energy does not feel like enough. 

Luke doesn't tell us more about Elizabeth's pregnancy or the birth, except to say that her neighbors "rejoiced with her." Elizabeth was not isolated, but, instead, in a community. I expect that community supported her and helped her in whatever way she needed, in order for her to give birth to her son, John. When her energy was less than she needed, I suspect other women in the community stepped forward to help her. Elizabeth's self-awareness, her wisdom, allowed her to accept help along the way. She did what she could, what she most needed to do. 

I still have lots of energy--most days. And I think I have acquired some wisdom along the way; wisdom that includes accepting the support of a loving friends, family and faith community when needed. Elizabeth and her late in life pregnancy is a wise companion for this time of my life. 

An Invitation
What might Elizabeth teach you? I would love to know. 

NOTE: The portrait of Mary and Elizabeth is by Janet McKenzie and can be found in Holiness and the Feminine Spirit, Art of Janet McKenzie. 















No comments:

Post a Comment

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted