Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Being Sick at Christmas: Tuesday's Reflection

I've spent a lot of time in my favorite flannel pajamas recently. Both my husband and I have wretched colds right now and have been confined to our house for several days. Actually, we now think we have the flu, even though we had the shot. 

Being sick at Christmas is no fun! 

I remember when I was a child and often had tonsillitis--sometimes at Christmas time. I remember going to the doctor on Christmas Eve before our family drove to my grandparents' farm, and I remember spending part of Christmas vacation confined to bed, instead of ice skating or sledding with my friends.

One year, when I was in third or fourth grade, I was too sick to go to school on the last day before vacation and missed our class party where we exchanged gifts. I asked my best friend, who lived across the street, to deliver my present to my class and bring home one for me. Well, she must have forgotten, because she brought me the present I intended to be exchanged. I was so disappointed--not because I didn't like what I had selected, but I missed being surprised. 


Nope, being sick at Christmas is no fun. The shopping is not done nor the wrapping and forget the baking. We had to cancel two gatherings at our house and missed seeing our grandson Peter be Joseph in the Christmas pageant. Oh, how sorry we have felt for ourselves. 









All is not lost, however. How often do we lament about how busy these days are and how there is so much to do? Will we be ready? Will we get everything done? 











Well, here's how I've spent the last week. I've gone to bed early and slept late. I've spent hours in the snug reading purely for pleasure. I've relished the sounds of Christmas music playing in the background and the sight of Christmas lights on our tree and garlands. 

In the morning I've lingered in my Girlfriend Chair in the garret, reading Advent devotions, reflecting on wise words.

               What surprised the shepherds was not that the
               Messiah would come or the angels had called
               them or the divine presence was in a baby. What
               surprised them was that God had come to the very
               place where they had always been. The process is
               the same for us. Wherever we go to find Life, the
               fact is that Life is already within us if we will only
               attend to it.      Joan Chittister

God comes to me wherever I am. God comes to me in my Life the way it is right now--in sickness and in health. And God will continue to come to me, as I age and experience loss and serious health threats, and as I need to adapt to changes in my circumstances. 

Eventually, I will feel better, and the flu will be a thing of the past. This is a minor setback compared to what many are suffering, but it is a reminder that God is present no matter what. My ongoing challenge--and opportunity--is to find the joy, the gifts, the light. No matter what. 

An Invitation
How is God coming to you this Christmas? I would love to know. 







1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear both you and your husband are sick, especially at Christmas-time. Unfortunately, most of the people I know that got flu shots, have ended up getting the flu.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted