Thursday, August 22, 2019

Writing as Spiritual Practice: Thursday's Reflection

Frankly, I would have preferred to stay home tucked in the snug or hidden in our "Paris Garden" sanctuary. I was feeling on the verge of an achey flu, thanks to the second shingles shot I received the day before. 

Staying home was not an option, however, for it was the last session in a seven part summer writing series, In Your Words, Writing as a Spiritual Practice, which I had organized at our church, Gloria Dei Lutheran Church. I was grateful I was not teaching this session, but had already led my session on journal writing a couple weeks earlier. I gathered all my supplies, including a smile, and headed off to prepare the snack and registration tables. 

Soon participants arrived.

               "I can't believe this is the last session. Are you sure 
               there isn't another one?"

               "Thank you so much. I love coming here and writing."

               "What a gift this series has been."

Well, it was enough to turn a girl's head!

The last session was titled "Who Am I NOW?" and was presented by poet Ann Niedringhaus, who, of course, did an excellent job. Along with time to write, she included time when the small groups could share what they had written or what they had learned during that writing experience.

Fellowship Hall buzzed with lively conversations. In many cases these were writers who hadn't thought about themselves as writers, but felt some kind of yearning. These were writers who found a safe and supportive community, at least for an afternoon. These were writers who had a new mission --to complete or start a project. These were writers who now viewed writing as a spiritual practice, a way to develop a deeper relationship with God and to move closer to being the person they were created to be. 

One woman, who does major caretaking, told me at the end of the session, "This series has been my vacation." 

Wow, we had offered her a time out. A kind of spa experience, minus the manicures and facials. 

I've always known that writing can be a way to find out what you didn't realize you already knew, as well as a way to grow, to evaluate and clarify, to create the next step, and to find the extraordinary in the ordinary. These sessions have reminded me that writing is also a way to take care of oneself, a way to gather wisdom, and a way to spend time with the Divine. 

During these seven sessions I felt the Presence of the Sacred.

The series may have ended, but for many the writing will continue. 
What about you? Here are a few prompts to help you begin:
                 *  What is my heart's desire? What is my call
                     at this stage of my life?
                 *  When have I felt most alive? What makes me    
                      feel most alive now?
                 *   My cup brims over when...
                 *   What part of my life most needs the powerful touch 
                       of God.

Just put one word after another and see what is revealed.

An Invitation
Write! I would love to know what happens. 

PS: I feel better this morning, and I am really happy to know I won't get shingles. Have you gotten your shots? 

5 comments:

  1. Nancy, Thank You for being such a wonderful "Spiritual Guide" to so many Family & Friends like ME! Oh Yes...I received my two Shingle Shots earlier this year at Walgreens in Hawaii (of all places), and my extra strength Flu Shot at my Doctor's clinic in South Jordan, Utah last week...ouch!! "Stay Well & Be Happy," Dearest Friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How good to check those both "goof for us" things off our list! Muchlove to you both.

      Delete
  2. I went to a similar monthly writer's group last year. I loved it and I learned a lot - and wrote a lot! No shots for me.

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted