Thursday, August 8, 2019

Pray in the Shower: Thursday's Reflection

Pray all day.

Pray in all places. 

Pray all ways. 

Today my best prayer time was in the shower. I always give thanks for the gift of a shower--the steady stream of clean water, the temperature I regulate, the feeling of being squeaky clean from head to toes. I try not to focus on the sags, the wrinkles and spots--that's enough detail--but instead to give thanks for a body that has served me well and continues to support the life I most want to have. 

This morning, however, as the water cleansed me, I prayed for the cleansing of our nation. I prayed for all those who are in deep sorrow, such unexpected and unnecessary sorrow. I prayed for those who feel lost or unknown or powerless or alone. I prayed for those who feel driven and convinced of one way being the only way, one thought being the only thought. I prayed that new responses may be found. I prayed for open hearts, a change of heart.

I know prayer is not enough, but it is something I can do, even when I am in the shower. 

Today I intend to pray as I climb the stairs to the garret and pause at the landing to look out at the summer garden. I will pray each time I tap the "send" button on my laptop. I will pray when I sort the wash, and if I iron, I will pray then, too. I will pray before I call Mitch McConnell's office, urging him to call back senators to vote on universal background checks (202-224-2541). I will pray when I bring in the mail and when I open the bills. I will pray before my spiritual directee comes and after she leaves. I will pray as I cook the brats and butter the buns for dinner. I will pray as I walk to the snug to read. I will pray as I enter rest. 

Often, my prayers are wordless. How can that be prayer? Well, more and more I think of prayer as a kind of awareness, the way I try to live my days, the rhythm of my days. A way of being present,  not just to myself and my needs, but to the beat of the world around me. How can that not be prayer?

I pray as I write posts for this blog, and that means I pray for each of you who read these posts. 

An Invitation
When do you feel like praying? I would love to know.  




3 comments:

  1. Dearest Nancy...God Bless You and your inspirational words of LIGHT and LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iam reminded of my grandson Cosimo,age 7, when we were talking about prayer. Out of the blue, this wise little boy said,"Ama, I mostly pray all day when Im walking around because that is when I see things." Such a lesson, such wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise, indeed!!!! Thank you for sharing a glimpse into this dear boy.

      Delete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted