Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Borders and Containers of Sacred Space: Tuesday's Reflection

More and more I realize I need borders in my life. 

Last week my husband added some pavers to the edge of the garden in the front yard. Now the mulch won't drift onto the sidewalk, and the garden looks defined, giving the eyes a place to rest. 

I often need that kind of border in my life these days. 

When I was younger, I could move from one event, one task, to another and another easily and deliberately. I didn't need--or at least I thought that was the case--to pause. That is not true any more.

Now I need space. Now I need to create a border around anything that has taken extra effort or time or energy. No matter how fun or interesting or worthwhile, I need breathing time. Down time. Catch-up time. I need time to focus, to listen for my own inner wisdom. I need time, not just to re-charge and restore, but to remember what is most important in my life right now. 

One friend thinks of this as her moat. She pulls up the drawbridge of her life and waits till she is refreshed and once again can cross the moat herself or welcome others into her castle. 

I recall a guided meditation I used sometimes when I facilitated spirituality groups for those touched by cancer.

                  Creating a Container of Sacred Space
     Sit in a posture of meditation and close your eyes, lightly,
not tightly. Picture in your mind a square. Choose a corner of that square. Count to four as you slowly inhale, keeping your focus on that corner of the square. 
      As you exhale, move to the next corner, reaching it on the count of four. Rest in that corner, inhaling to four. Leave the corner on the exhale and move on to the third corner. Inhale. Exhale again as you move to the corner where you started this journey. Inhale once more to complete the square. 
      You have created a container of sacred space in which you can rest and restore. When you are ready, open your eyes but keep that feeling of sacred space.

At one time in my life, I might have felt constricted doing this exercise. Why would I want to put myself in a box or behind a border? Now, as a woman in her 70's who still has lots of energy and many more interests and ideas than time, I welcome the gift of limits, especially ones that I create for myself. More than likely, in the future, I will experience physical and mental limitations, but for right now I can choose to live within the borders of my stamina, my energy, my abilities and my interests. I nurture those interests and abilities when I rest within this holy space. Then when I feel ready and eager once more, I can stretch beyond the border. 

An Invitation
How good are you at knowing your borders? I would love to know. 









1 comment:

  1. Your words have spoken to what I seem to experience as a daily quest. Thank you for defining "borders." I will find this very helpful.
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

All respectful and relevant comments are welcome. Potential spam and offensive comments will be deleted